Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to learn before C/C++?

What to learn before C/C++?

I am wanting to learn C/C++ programing language but it is seaming very hard for me so i am woundering if there is another language i chould learn before C/C++ that whould help me learn C/C++ when i get there. I dont know why C/C++ is seaming so hard to me maybe it is becuase i dont know what books or websites to read to learn so if anyone chould shead the light in my direction thanks. Sorry for any spelling mistakes i am not the best speller.
    Thanks

SLACKER
    EHU

Probably a little bit of Java and Perl would help you out before venturing off into C/C++. JMHO
    Space For Rent.. =]

At my school they teach us something called "karel++" right before we get into C++. Its a pretty basic language, easy to learn on your own. I guess its just meant to help you get a feel for things.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

If learning C is hard, you should just take it slower. this site is pretty good for c.
    http://www.cyberdiem.com/vin/learn.html
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

() \/V |\| 3 |) |3\/ |\|3G47|\/3
    Hey, also check for similar questions in the forums as there are a lot of good answers already out there.

My personal favorite is Starting Out With C++ by Tony Gaddis .

And a newer favorite of mine is Thinking in C++

You may also try starting with VB for something a little easier.

Go Finland!
    Deviant Gallery

Antionline Herpetologist
    C is a great first language to learn IMHO. It gives you a very solid base on which to build up further knowledge. I'd say, just get C for Dummies (http://wambooli.com).

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I am gona learn C on a linux machine "Slackware" I was woundering if C for Dummies whould still be good if i am not learning on windows. Thanks

Slacker
    EHU

Originally posted here by Spyder32
    Probably a little bit of Java and Perl would help you out before venturing off into C/C++. JMHO
    Java would definently help but Im not too sure if perl is the best option for someone in the beginning stages of programming. Its better to start with a language that has a strict structure as opposed to Perl which isnt strict at all and has a ton of "special" coding techniques.

Good luck.
    severe limitation

Just try to tough it out, once you learn c you can quickly learn php, java, c++, vb, and many others, C is the foundation for most languages, if you've never programmed i'd recommend trying QBASIC, its designed to be a learning tool. I started with Cobol, but cobol is dead :/
    A mind full of questions has no room for answers

Antionline Herpetologist
    I am gona learn C on a linux machine "Slackware" I was woundering if C for Dummies whould still be good if i am not learning on windows. Thanks
    It'd still be helpful, just not as much. I don't really recommend learning C on *NIX because of the lack of books for beginners that target *NIX systems. I know a lot of people do it that way though, so there's no reason you shouldn't be able to.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com