Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Yawn.. New Virii scanner

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    I use AVG, but Sophos is new on me. Is there anything that makes Sophos the better of the two?
    Of course! Because tedob1 just said so...
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

I'm using AVG free on WinXPro...seems ok, but the full system scans take only a fraction of the time as NAV2k2 or NAV2k3 -- about 10 min compared to over an hour -- does this mean it isn't scanning all files, or can it truly be that fast?

I recall reading that Sophos gets their virus updates out more quickly than competitors because they are located in England, timezones and such -- and this gives them some kinda competitive edge...sumthin like that. Please correct me if I'm wrong

And yes, TrendMicro's Housecall *is* an excellent online, on-demand scanner!

fyrewall -- Please, for the sake of god, install a/v software on your home computer.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Why? The only thing I use mine for is... Well, wait, I don't...

All you have to do is not open unknown or dangerous files and keep your box updated and be alert and you are fine... AVG has not done me the slightest good except maybe make me feel I am more protected... I do a full system scan every night, never find anything... If you practice good computing habits, there isn't much use of a virus scanner if you never download anything from untrusted sites... That is the only thing I can think of to use mine for.. But I don't download programs off of p2p or warez sites...

IMHO Kaspersky ver 4.5 is the best.... Haven't had a chance to try 5 yet. Drweb and NOD32 are good as well.. For free I think it would be AVG 6 or Antivir PE.

The Grunt, I'm basing it on the fact he has other people in his household who are less security-oriented then he is and might not know the security measure's that we all know. I'm assuming he might have kid's, or might just have someone less tech-smart than him who use's that computer along with him.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by The Grunt
    Why? The only thing I use mine for is... Well, wait, I don't...

All you have to do is not open unknown or dangerous files and keep your box updated and be alert and you are fine... AVG has not done me the slightest good except maybe make me feel I am more protected... I do a full system scan every night, never find anything... If you practice good computing habits, there isn't much use of a virus scanner if you never download anything from untrusted sites... That is the only thing I can think of to use mine for.. But I don't download programs off of p2p or warez sites...
    Yep, It's just a "matter of dealing with process propagation and trusted resources correctly".

I'm waiting to see what DARPA is going to release, you know dealing with worms.
    http://www.darpa.mil/ato/programs/dqw.htm

Ahhh... If that is the case, then he should without a doubt install an AV on it...

But I do believe most of us on this site have our own personal home computer and another for the rest of the family...

I do too, I believe so as well. But when he said "Home" computer and not his PC, I assumed he meant one that could be shared with people other than him (family, kids, etc).
    Space For Rent.. =]

AO Part Timer
    All you have to do is not open unknown or dangerous files and keep your box updated and be alert and you are fine
    This is only half true. Sasser used a vulnerabilite in lsass.exe. The patch was only avaliable for 11 days I believe. Correct me if I am wrong here, the original vuln was found by eyee. One of the good guys. What happens when one of the bad guys finda a zeroday. Instead of running their mouth about it, writes a nasty little worm that nobody even knows exists. However ironic, I just supported your argument. Because if the aformentioned example came true, we'd all be in trouble irregardless of AV or not. Their might be exceptions to this, like a finely tuned firewall. Or not even using the effected OS. Otherwise security officer to <any key users> would be screwed.

Be safe and stay free
    Your heart was talking, not your mind.
    -Tiger Shark