Thread: Usb storage autorun

Usb storage autorun

Does anybody here know of a way that i can enable autorun on my Fujifilm 128 mb removable USB drive. This has been aggrevating me for a long time now. I understand that there are programs out there that you can run on your own machine that will enable it but i am looking to be able to just walk up to any computer, pop it in, and have something run. Much like a floppy disk or cd-rom. Any help at all would be very much appreciated, thank you.
    Even if your plane crashed tonight you\'d find some way to disappoint by not burning in the wreckage or drowning at the bottom of the sea

Banned
    well when you plug it in, do you get a Removal Drive in "My Computer". You should ....I have a USB removable flash memory drive, when i pop it in, i get a Removal Drive(G in my computer, right click it, go to my properties, and click the Autoplay tab, then select what action you want the computer to make when you pop-in the drive (open as folder, play slideshow, whatever option there are ...)

i am looking to be able to just walk up to any computer, pop it in, and have something run. Much like a floppy disk or cd-rom
    NO!

You have really answered your own question when you mentioned floppies and CDs. A lot of computers have autodetect for the CD enabled, but it is an option. AFAIK the floppy drive is not "clever" enough to autodetect, so If you have found a way of doing that I, for one, would be very interested to know how.

USB is nothing like as standard as a floppy or CD so you need to load the software for most devices first. As MemorY pointed out, this is then "mounted" as a new drive (usually "G") When you want to take the device out, you have to "dismount" or "remove it" in the software (normally a little icon in the system tray) You should then get a message "it is now safe to remove this device" message.

OH, I am taking you literally when you say "any computer", rather than ones you have pre-prepared?

Hope that helps

EDIT: My point is that the computer has to be prepared to recognise the USB device first. If you just stick a USB device into any old computer it won't be recognised, so it does not matter what is on the USB drive itself.