Thread: Building a PC

Building a PC

Excellent Excellent news...

I have $769.00 Even to spend on a computer, no more. This means shipping too, so when you say the price of a part, can you please include shipping. I plan on ordering tonight or tomorrow night from newegg.com I have to fill out some billing information and I should be set.

Can you guys, please once more please post the parts you think would be the best for me to build a computer with from the ground up. From the case to the hard drive to the everything (keyboard, mouse, maybe speakers) Dont need a graphics card or a monitor.

Looking for a good motherboard that will run my GeForce FX 5900 XT on AGP 8X. Looking for a port for my comcast cable.

Hope you guys can help me out, maybe I can save money by purchasing a Intel Pentium 4 HT 3.2 OR 3.0 instead of going with AMD64. Because I'll tell you right now, I'm running this:

Pentium 4 1700 MHz 1.7 roughly 1.65
    2x128 Samsung Rambus PC 800 Ram.
    Monitor = Good.
    Graphics card = Good.

So I doubt it will run any slower, even though an AMD64 will run better for gaming, it can't get much worse and if I'll save money with the Pentium 4 HT 3.2 or 3.0 then I'm all in for it.

I need a good case, with a power supply of around 420-430W. I'm hoping everything will work out well and I wont have much difficulties recieving my parts from newegg or assembling them

Thanks.. remember I'm on an $769.00 budget and I have a GeForce FX 5900 XT 128MB graphics card that I will need my motherboard to support on AGP 8x

Thanks, the quicker the replies the better, thanks thanks thanks, I'm so excited.

Banned
    Chieftec black server case 450Watt - $95
    Intel Pentium IV 2.8GHz 800MHz - $175
    GigaByte socket 478 - $53
    Corsair Value Select 2x512MB RAM - $190
    Samsung Black (case is black) DVD/CD-RW - $50 (unless you need a DVD burner...)
    Seagate 160GB 7200RPM - $190
    SoundBlaster Audigy - $42
    NIC - $25
    Fans, coolers - $30
    MS Optical mouse/keyboard bundle - $36
    LogiTech Z5300 5.1 speakers - $139

That's $1,025... darn... leave off the speakers... $886... I don't know, TOPNO7CH... what is the box going to be used for? You could get a Dell or Gateway or whatever with better specs than I listed here for $500... although nothing beats home-built
    I'd save $200 more...heh.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Ok! Here my suggestion.

Motherboard : Get a good one around 100$
    Graphic Card : Get a good video card. This is important in PC today around 125-150$
    Sound Card : Unless you're a BIG FAN of music on computer, the AC97 sound integrate in most motherboard will do good.
    Speaker : Fill with your budget (See Note at the End)
    Processor : Get AMD Athlon XP (See Note at the End)
    Memory : Get a good brand like Corsair or Kingston. Paid the prices for 512 Mg!
    CD-R/DVD Combo : Combo is the cheapest and the best for you.

Note : Find the $$ for all pieces but keep Processor and Speaker at the end. At the end, choose a processor that fix your budjet. Getting a good video card/memory/Athlon XP 2400+ is SOOO much BETTER that poor video card/memory/Athlon XP 2800+.

Good Luck!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Thanks very much gentlemen, and ladies if they come across this thread. I'm going to use this for gaming and I already have a GeForce FX 5900 XT. So that will save me some cash. However I'll use this to download a few songs from time to time.. play battlefield vietnam, call of duty, and chat with my friends.

Not sure wether to go intel or AMD. I like Intel more but I've been told it's more of a personal preference.

AO French Antique News Whore
    Intel is better for plain number but for gaming computer, AMD got a very good reputation with gamer.
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Senior since the 3 dot era
    With AMD AthlonXP you get a better power/ price combination than every Intel available. When considering the 64bit revolution to come soon (expect second half of 2005) you can already invest in an AMD Athlon64, eventually wait for the Nforce3 250 gb chipset for s754 with dual channel memory.

The AMD AthlonXP is the best buy, it gives you raw computer power for an unbeatable price. You can go for an AMD AthlonXP Barton 2500+, this cpu is very cheap at the moment and most of those can easily be overclocked to a 3200+ if you have good memory (quality stuff like Kingston, Corsair, OCZ) and a good mobo (for instance Abit NF7-S SA rev2.0).

If you want to be ready for the 64bit world but still want to run 32bit, the only way to go is the Athlon64 on socket 754 or the Athlon64FX on the Opteron socket, or wait for the upcoming 939 socket and the new generation of Athlon64 (upcoming in 2005).

The new Athlon64 3200+ with 1 Mb cache, is at the moment one of the best gamers choices, this cpu outperforms all other common desktop combination, let aside the Athlon64 3400+
    keep in mind that the new cpu's and specially the Athlon64 need a very good powersupply. You need a powersupply > 350W with either separate lines or a very good combined power spec.

I cannot help a lot, as you guys have such a different pricing structure to us over here.

Four things I will say:

1. AMD processor, don't get the boxed version.........buy a Coolermaster or similar heatsink/fan combo and stick it on an OEM processor. Obviously make sure that it is rated for the processor!

2. Use SILVER thermal compound, not the white "gunk" (20 times more efficient, yes! 2000%)

3. Use an exhaust fan......they only cost around $5 and take up one of the expansion slots (they lie flat)............get that stale hot air out of the case!

4. Mount the HDD in a front-fan cooling bay, they cost between 10-15 bucks

Hey, your existing machine ain't that bad............pity that RAMBUS is so expensive? What is it?

Dell Dimension 8100?

Good luck

by the way, how do you estimate the power your pc needs so you can get a psu suitable or sufficent to power your pc

Hows this look, this is what's in my cart right now.

ANTEC Performance Plus Case with 430W Power Supply, Model "PLUS1080AMG" -RETAIL ($125.00 Shipped)

Samsung Black 16X DVD-ROM Drive, MODEL SD-616EEPB, OEM ($27.99 Shipped)

Western Digital Special Edition 120GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD1200JB, OEM Drive Only ($90.25 Shipped)

Geil Value Series 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 ($94.00 Shipped)

Intel Pentium 4/ 2.8C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail ($180.00 Shipped)

Microsoft Windows XP Home Edition with Service Pack SP1a - OEM ($91.00 Shipped)

Still need to make sure the DVD/CD-Rom Drive Im getting has the cables and CD's also I need to get myself a good motherboard for gaming to support my processor and my GeForce 5900 XT 128MB @ AGP 8x