Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: burning up bandwidth

WOW, I'm surprised on how many replies came in. But it is my roomate, he is using DC++ for P2P. and there is always about 5 600+MB files he starts to dl before he goes to bed, well, night time is when I do all of my stuff.
    FYI: My roomate is starting college soon for networking. Currently he knows nothing about it. I kinda social engineered him. by telling him that he could hack into my computer anytime he wants only if I could do the same.*grin*.I have linux. He has windows. So me limiting his dls should be open range. and he leaves his computer unlocked when he is gone.
    So i will look at DC++ and see what there is. and I was hoping to find some sort of stealth BW limiter(so my roomate can't tell hes being limited) I may try and look into programming one.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

do you and your roommate share a router, and if you do, do you have control over it?? if so -- depending on the router -- you can limit bandwidth and set rules based on times for different computers

Yeah, the router is in my room, as with the modem. But, it is a linksys and there are no options of that sort I can find on the config screens. I was just thinking of setting up a script that send him a bunch of pings to slow him down, not as many as a DoS, but come to think of it, that would probably slow me down to
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Errrrrrrrr?

To "preserve the peace and tranquility" so to speak, might I suggest a compromise solution?

Introduce him to "job scheduling" He sets up his d/ls and they kick in when you are both asleep............finished by the morning, so he won't loose out on anything, and you will have all the resource until you go to bed.

Or you launch them for him before you pack up for the night.

No contention, no confrontation and everyone is happy?

Compromise? Me? lol. Well, recently with work and college he has most of the time to spend online and I get what time he is off and I am home. We are at peace about everything. I did tell him, however, that since the router is in my room, I get the rights to pull his connection anytime. We laughed about it.

FYI: The mechanism that gives the ability to limit output bdw is called in the community (IEEE, IETF, ...) "shaping". (I suggest to google it). This is one basic function in networking and telecom for bandwitdh provisioning.
    Cisco call it rate limit, but they always change labels (HSRP, ...).

I don't know about linksys but I would be surprised that a so called router does not implement such a basic function.

Anyway, shaping the uplink bdw of your room mate would not be fair & is a first step to room war.

As you play with the beauty of linux (or on your linksys if it offers QoS), you could try CB-WFQ (Class based weitgh fair queuing mechanism) to set 2 priorities high for u low for your room mate, this would have the enjoyable result when congestion with minimum latency and throughput garantee on your last mile connection.

If your studying networking such experimentation would be highly valuable for your technical background. I personnaly need to understand those functions for VPN and traffic engineering...
    [shadow] SHARING KNOWLEDGE[/shadow]

Hey Networker! Thanks for the technical info! As a matter of fact, I am going into UNIX this semester and networking and UNIX next semester. The other reason I want to limit, is because the router is an older one and is succeptable to jamming problems when we are both on it.
    But I will search for info on "shaping" etc. This is the stuff i'm interested in, well, and linux security.