Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: WarChalking

Regal Making Handler

WarChalking

Hi all,
    Just wandered if anyone had come across the term warchalking. I have just come across it whilst reading:

WarDriving: Drive, Detect, Defend: A Guide to Wireless Security
    by Chris Hurley, Michael Puchol, Russ Rogers and Frank Thornton

Aparently it's the practice of publicly marking wireless networks that have been discovered.

Dam, the authers don't say what the mark looks like, not yet atleast.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

There are a few, common open node I have seen since last year:

Open Node )(

Closed node ()
    Broken WEP (w)

West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

yah I have seen both the term warchalking and actual warchalking... I just stumbled across some on Friday on the way back to work from my bank

There is a warchalking tutorial out there somewhere. I'll google it in a bit and post back.

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Have a look at this PDF. I used it to present my case to the Govt. agency that I work for when chalking first turned up at some public offices of ours. I also showed how the chalk marks matched up perfectly with the WAP settings. Since then, we have gone to a much better wireless solution.

Anyway, here ya go:

http://www.blackbeltjones.com/warcha...halking0_9.pdf
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

I couldn't find the original tut I was talking about in my last post but I did remember where I found it.

http://www.warchalking.org/

Give a man a match and he will be warm for a while, light him on fire and he will be warm for the rest of his life.

i cant believe that a .org already exists to take care of that:
    http://www.warchalking.org/

man, im outdated
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Regal Making Handler
    border firewall + WAP (wireless access point) =>> wireless lan =>> internal firewall =>> protected internal lan
    From JP's post here:http://www.antionline.com/showthread...855#post747511

Would not seem as over the top as some of us may have at first thought.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

I've come across the term before but never actually seen the characters on the sidewalk. I live in the East Coast, Boston to be exact...and haven't noticed any marks on the sidewalks, not that I've been looking anyways. I do know some hotspots though that I use when I need them. The wide number of colleges around here also allow people to connect to the internet wirelessly without worrying too much about marking the sidewalks anyways .

I saw some more warchalking this afternoon on the walk back from the gym to work. Same ones that I saw on Friday but in a completely different area. Looks like someone is mapping downtown SF again