Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to find where (on earth) an I.P is!

How to find where (on earth) an I.P is!

There are several ways to locate the area an I.p. adress is in.
    The most usefull way is to use a program.
    The best programs are shareware and are here:
    Neotrace (no link)
    Visualroute www.visualroute.com
    they will track it down to the city.

you can also do this in your computer in ms-dos mode (and slightly modified for linux)
    tracert iphere
    it will give you a list of "hops" or locations
    THESE ARE THE SERVERS YOUR CONNECTION PASSES THROUGH!
    using these urls+ips you can see what isp they use, and then maybe establish a closer location than a city maybe even to an area code or a zip code.

I hope you've enjoyed this short tutorial. If you have any questions please reply and I will try to answer them.
    if you have time be sure to drop my my website at www.johnscompany.net

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Funny you forgot to mention that you can only trace the IP back to the city the ISP is located in, NOT there house or real city. This leads me to question if you actually know what your talking about. But anyway... Thanks for contributing to the site.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

tracing it back to an adress requires more effort, this is just a simple solution. Tracing it back to the house would require logs, calls to isps, etc. etc. with the isp you can get them to reveal the adress if your that concerned
    if you have time be sure to drop my my website at www.johnscompany.net

http://neotrace.com/

Link for Neotrace....Kinda makes one wonder how much effort you put into this.
    It is impossible to make anything foolproof because fools are so ingenious. - Murphy

AFLAAACKKK!!
    Yes it does make me wonder how much time you spent in to this as well. Btw, ISP's won't give you **** if you ask them to give you personal info about people like that. Only if you are government officials in most cases.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

Hey nice work. Just needs some refining and a bit more background research.
    Nice to see you are showing some interest in networking. It takes time to learn,
    I know, but don't get discouraged; all those post-pubescent types had more time than you to work it out and now think they can dump on you. And your spelling is not too shabby either.
    Just keep learning and your posts will improve. Which means, that the content will be scrutinized even more, off course...

Go big...

THESE ARE THE SERVERS YOUR CONNECTION PASSES THROUGH!
    Not necessarily... most of the time they are routers.

Don't know if you'd consider them servers?
    They are serving for a routing purpose... but in the networking sense... they are routers.

More specifically... they are normally backbone routers... not the linksys crap that you find at home.

The Duck brings up a very good point. Trace my ip and it'll tell you that I'm located in philly... when in fact I'm at least a good 45 miles from it physically.

As for time spent... I'd say less than 15 minutes...

There is much more information that *could* have been presented.

But... for a first try... you did ok. The concept is right, just needs more info.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Originally posted here by phishphreek80
    Not necessarily... most of the time they are routers.

Don't know if you'd consider them servers?
    They are serving for a routing purpose... but in the networking sense... they are routers.

More specifically... they are normally backbone routers... not the linksys crap that you find at home.
    I find it funny that we now have to distinguish. When I hear the word router I immediately think of Cisco, Nortel, etc.... it scares me that some people here router and think linksys or dlink.... they're crap... and a new term should be devised for them.

As for time spent... I'd say less than 15 minutes...

There is much more information that *could* have been presented.

But... for a first try... you did ok. The concept is right, just needs more info.
    less than 15 minutes? I'm going with less than 5.... I could get more information from the VR or NeoTrace readme's not to mention their websites, FAQs and help files.

Peace,
    HT

Btw, ISP's won't give you **** if you ask them to give you personal info about people like that.
    TheDuck make's a strong point here, you can't trace back to an ISP and ask "Where does he live?". They're not obliged to give out that sort of personal information to someone seeking to trace an attacker or whatnot. They'll just take the IP you gave them and give them a violation of the TOS (Term's of Service). That's about as far as you'll get to knowing the person's phone number or address.

I'm going with less than 5
    'Nuff said, really. I don't think much effort was put into this and it's information was misleading as well as incorrect. But hey, who am I to talk about tutorial's
    Space For Rent.. =]

Antionline Herpetologist
    No one's mentioned this yet, but should this even be in a tutorial forum? Not to hurt unit321's feelings, but that was kinda a crappy tutorial. It was *ok* for a first attempt, but really, newbies shouldn't just join the site and start posting tutorials. I know a lot of people who's first attempt at a tutorial was way better.
    And just so I offer some constructive criticism in this post, there's a ton of stuff that could be said about whois, rwhois, nbtstat, and other such VERY useful tools for turning an IP into a location.

EDIT:
    all those post-pubescent types had more time than you to work it out and now think they can dump on you
    Exactly, we have had more time than him to figure out this stuff, which is why we're offering constructive criticism. The criticism might seem a bit harsh at first, but it will help him in the long run. And in case you didn't notice, you're the only one who hasn't added anything to this thread .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com