View Poll Results: Does the Patriot Act violate citizen's right to privacy?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, it does.

8 80.00%
  • No, it doesn't.

2 20.00%

Thread: Getting Rid of Pop-ups

Getting Rid of Pop-ups

| : |
    | |
    |GETTING RID OF POP-UPS |
    | |
    | BY: |
    / UNIT321 /
    / /
    Aah, the everlasting, super-annoying pop-up. We all hate em, but how do we stop them? Well, there are several causes for pop-ups, let's look at that first.
    1. Spy/MalWare
    2. The website you are visiting
    3. Your ISP

Spy/MalWare/Adware Spy and adware are the main reasons for pop-ups. They monitor your actions, and make ads, in email and browsing for you. They are fairly easy to get rid of.

Top THREE Threats: Gator weatherBug bonzi-buddi if you have any of these i suggest reinstalling your OS. Get ad-aware from lavasoftusa.com and SpybotSearch and Destroy from security.kolla.de They are both needed for a malware system. Why reinstall the os? even ad-aware cant get rid opf the traces, besides you should start fresh every year or two anyways.

The website you are visiting. Solutions: Email the administrator of the website and request a ban of pop-ups

OPT-OUT of it, simple, if there is an optout link, click it.

Stop them on your own... Pretty Easy The browser OPERA. Opera.com is great. It's easy to use, and is faster than any other browser, and it has built in pop-up controls. The options are: Block No pop-ups Allow only requested pop-ups (you click a link to open a new window) And Block ALL Pop-ups and if youw ant to you can hold shift to allow pop-ups while you hold it. If you use INTERNET EXPLORER i suggest the FREE version of pop-up-blocker from panicware.com

Your ISP If your internet service provider gives them to you, get a pop-up blocker, and pass a petition, there isnt much you can do.

MESSENGER Service pop-up.s These are annoying, heres how to stop them GOTO CONTROL PANELS (Start>Settings>Control Panels) Goto administrative tools (Control Panels>Administrative tools) Goto services and right click on ALERTER and under properties make startup-disabled. Do the same for messenger. YOU ARE NOW LIBERATED FROM POP-UPS -unit321
    sorry if the ASCII art didnt appear, it looks good in the reply form
    you may redistribute this text in its complete form. You do not have permission to modify this text and then redistribute it.
    Feel free to distribute this on limewire,grockster,sharebear,kazaa, and anything else you want to. add it to your website,ftp,news server, or whatever
    if you have time be sure to drop my my website at www.johnscompany.net

Banned
    Gator weatherBug bonzi-buddi if you have any of these i suggest reinstalling your OS.
    Bad advice .... i uninstalled gator and watherbug without any problems afterwards.....

besides you should start fresh every year or two anyways.
    Not if you know how to keep you computer working.

The website you are visiting. Solutions: Email the administrator of the website and request a ban of pop-ups
    he probably won't do anything since some get money for puting pop-up and ads on their websites....

oh to stop pop-ups download google toolbar at toolbar.google.com....problem solved ... to ban ads download ad muncher .... http://www.admuncher.com/

and umm to remove spyware, ad-aware, malware etc...download

Ad-aware
    Spybot S&D
    CWShredder
    Hijackthis
    Spyware blaster

to find where to download them go to google.com and type in 'Download "name of program""

i prefer the FREE pop-up stopper from panicware.com
    but w/e rocks your boat

Or you could go an easier route. I run linux = as of now no spyware/malware and I use Firebird = no popups. Oh well to each his own.

Devpon: I know you are only trying to help...

But: Linux is not a solution for everyone. I run XP, 2K, 98, Linux, Cisco IOS.

They are all good for different things. But they are not good for everyone.

If someone is having problems with something as basic as pop ups... why would they even dare move to linux at that point?

Firebird is also for m$.
    There are also a bunch of other browsers and browser ad-ins that will also help block pop-ups.
    Quitmzilla is a firefox extension that gives you stats on how long you have quit smoking, how much money you\'ve saved, how much you haven\'t smoked and recent milestones. Very helpful for people who quit smoking and used to smoke at their computers... Helps out with the urges.

Install Firefox, or the Google Toolbar if you must use IE. I have only seen one unwanted pop-up since switching to Firefox.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

was it a flash pop-up?

Yes, it was. Damn annoying too if it starts to catch on.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.