Thread: XP box not showing up on network.

OK, Really confused.

One thing after the next. Man I tell ya.
    Well my network has 2 computers (XP and Fedora) connected to a router. Fedora's ip is 192.168.1.101 and XP is x.x.x.100. When I set the network up I remember specifically setting Fedora at x.x.x.100 and XP at x.x.x.101.

After I realized I was scanning my computer and not XP, I brodcast pinged my network and it only showed my router 192.168.1.1 and me(Fedora). There is nothing wrong with the connection to XP. So i ping XP and it started scrolling a bunch of blank lines. I hit ctrl C and it says: 3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 1999ms.
    Weird. I try again and: 15 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 14008ms. <------confusion point.

Apparently XP isn't there even though I physically got on XP and looked up its ip and I floated around on the internet a little.
    XP is running blackice. If that helps.
    I also thought that I might need something for Fedora and XP to communicate. But even being the case, shouldn't I still be able to scan or ping XP with Fedora?
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

Ummm, your firewalls are stealthing your computers.

Turn them off and scan again.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

If you have a decent router that is properly configured you shouldn't even need a software firewall...

Banned
    Looks like the firewall is doing it's job, doesnt it. ...which is a good thing

Ah, Thats what I was thinking but I don't know how that works. Firewalls are my weakest spot. But Me and my roomate are playing hacker against each other (apparently he is winning) so I don't want to disable blackice and according to the rules, we cannot alter settings on the others computer. So now I have to find a way through. I'll do a search, but if anybody has good info on stealthing I would very much appreciate it.
    I believe in making the world safe for our children, but not our children’s children, because I don’t think children should be having sex. -- Jack Handey

So google for BlackIce vulnerabilities to start off. If you really want to get in then do your homework, bud.

By the way it could be a lot worse, IMHO, he's doing you a favor by runnig black ice, if you take my meaning.....
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I got your meaning and i'm not a newbe in computers, just in networks. I was just wanting to know if there was anybody that had a good place to find that info. and don't get me wrong, I'm trying to learn to protect my computer and network by breaking into them. I'm always told thats the best way to learm.
    -my dads nickname for me is bud.

It does sound like the firewall's doing its job...here's a thread in which there's a way to make your computer invisible on a LAN and still have file sharing and printers enabled...http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=258194