Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP Startup error

Windows XP Startup error

When i start up windows i get this error:

"STOP: c000021a {fatal system error}
    The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x00000080 (0x00000000 0x00000000)
    Then it proceeds to reboot.

I've tried to boot from the windows XP CD, but it says something along the lines of:

Checking for system harware configuration...
    That stays on the screen for about 3-5 seconds, and then the screen goes black. Eventually, the CD crive even stops spinning. I've waited about 30 min. just to see if anything would come up, but nothing. I really don't wanna do a Format and re-install, and the problem is even if i did, i can't get in to the windows install CD. Also, could it have had something to do with a power surge? I am thinking this because it was working fine when i went to school, and vwe had a power surge, and when i came home it wouldn't load windows. I have a surge protector. Finally, could it have something to do with GRUB? I have a SUSE installation on the same drive (diff partitions of course). Any ideas what to do? I'm totally lost, and and kinda pissed off...

slick
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

Is this happen in blue screen?

Yup. Tried booting in Safe Mode, and Last Known Good Configuration, same thing happened.
    \"Look, Doc, I spent last Tuesday watching fibers on my carpet. And the whole time I was watching my carpet, I was worrying that I, I might vomit. And the whole time, I was thinking, \"I\'m a grown man. I should know what goes on my head.\" And the more I thought about it... the more I realized that I should just blow my brains out and end it all. But then I thought, well, if I thought more about blowing my brains out... I start worrying about what that was going to do to my goddamn carpet. Okay, so, ah-he, that was a GOOD day, Doc. And, and I just want you to give me some pills and let me get on with my life. \" -Roy Waller

well i had the same problem while running xp at some point it gave me an error just like ur and at the end i had to format.i didn't have any other OS on my PC at that time.initially i thought it was due to currupt cd but then a friend of mine loaded XP from same CD and he had no problem.
    my PC is running a PIII, 810,128 RAm and my friends on a PIV,815,256 RAM.
    may be it has to do with ur system configuration.
    and if ur CD is not responding then u should try anather one.

Did u replace any hardwares? Because this could be ur hardware problem such as ur RAM...

well i think the same way i think it was something to do with my hardware later on i found out one more thing that my ram socket(hardware in which ram is fixed) had some problem vendor said there is short circuit in one of them so i was actually only running on 64 not even 128RAM.
    i think it had to do the same way. i just formated my PC at the end.

Try going into your bios, and find the option that says "halt on" or "halt on all errors" change it so it doesn't stop on any errors and see if it lets you in.

If that does work then download all updates for the M$ site and reboot and see if you still get that error. I searched google for that and it seems that its caused by hardware that windows does not like.

Is this a computer that use to have a older OS on it and you upgraded the OS or is it brand new/came with xp?
    =

AntiOnline n00b
    Hey slick8790

As cheyenne1212 Siid the problem seems to be hardware related ....and it might be anything ....Do you happen to have two Sticks of RAM do you.........I Got the Same Message when one of my RAM got Busted......And when i tried to install XP again it said "Checking for system harware configuration..." then the black screen.........If the Problem is same as mine then Format and Clean Install would also not work.......

Here are a QuickTips what i would Recomend...

First Try ressiting the CMOS by removing the CMOS battries......Then load the Optimal Settings and try to boot.........

Second Check the RAM If you have Two Sticks Try Booting With one of them... at a time.. It worked for me........

Try Booting With Windows98 Bootup Disk See if it Boots Form it If it Does try repairing the Previous XP installation......

--Good Luck--

If that does work then download all updates for the M$ site and reboot and see if you still get that error. I searched google for that and it seems that its caused by hardware that windows does not like.
    cant do that...it wont let me in to windows. i got this computer with Me installed, i upgraded to XP last september. ill try the halt on thing.

slick

EDIT

There isn't any Halt On thing in my BIOS. Also,

Second Check the RAM If you have Two Sticks Try Booting With one of them... at a time.. It worked for me........
    How do i check if i ave two sticks or one? And how would i boot with them one at a time?

How do i check if i ave two sticks or one? And how would i boot with them one at a time?
    Take the side off the system case and have a look!

hmmm seriously.. everyone is poking around in the dark here.. it does help if ppl can post their system specs when they have a problem like this..(i can speak), it helps all .. those that are helping as well as the sandbaggers..oh and you..
    reformatting and installing is not always the answer.. it just maybe the path to more headaches..

Now go grab a #1 point philips head screwdriver and get the side off that case..

Cheers

edit: and now I encounter this question.. i thought some would be interested..

in the link you gave me it say i have to the Replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable. do you know how to replace the cable?
    "Consumer technology now exceeds the average persons ability to comprehend how to use it..give up hope of them being able to understand how it works." - Me http://www.cybercrypt.co.nr