Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: cant delete file

I've seen this error message before on my school's computers. If you refresh (hit F5), it should be gone. At least that works on those computers (they're running XP as well).

mjk

1. Close all open programs.
    2. Open a command prompt(type cmd on run).
    3. Right-click the taskbar, and select Task Manager.
    4. On the Processes tab, select Explorer.exe, and click the End Process button.
    5. Minimise Task Manager, but do not close it.
    6. At the command prompt, use the Delete command to remove the file, and close the command prompt.
    7. In Task Manager, go to File | New Task (Run).
    8. In the Create New Task dialog box, enter Explorer.exe, and click OK.
    9. Close Task Manager.
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Yea that should work. Try that.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

disturb

Been reading all the posts and this file has definitely got my interest up as well. mmkhan's process should smoke it out of there. Please post back with the results because I have encounter that before as well. Thanks.

cheers
    Connection refused, try again later.

I am with Relyt there,

Only come across it when I could use DOS.............how to do it in XP/2K would be most interesting..........

Cheers

I came across a very similar situation last week. File name of C though. The problem was generated by an "Ad-click" trojan. ( a trojan that runs minimized every time you access the Internet and hits pay-by-click ads) I scaned all system files to remove the other infected executeables on the system first. Then I was able to delete the file by booting into the XP command prompt, (logged in as Local administrator), and delete the file manually. Then applied all the Windows updates. The user needed 29 updates. UGH!

Hope this helps.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

#wELL I got an easy and sure way to delete it. Start your Computer using a bootable disk
    then cd to c: drive and delete the particular file by either del command or used deltree
    but if you use deltree you need to have deltree.exe and deltree.mod in the dir you want to delete the folder. this will surely solve your problem
    Currently working on sdome link directories and a brand new programming site. :P will post them soon.

Lightbulb Thats what I think...

Disturb,

I think it can be because u are currently using a file in the directory( but u told the directory is empty ) ..
    Try to make it sure...
    In dos,
    C:\> dir u* /s

Are u sure its empty ?

Well in Win, Can u drag and drop files into this folder ?
    If so... Wow! ... Its a New Hiding phenmenon !! I'm too much interested
    Hope u can now see the dragged and dropped file by,
    C:\>dir u* /s

Device a method to retrieve them too...
    In dos, when u type dir, does the folder have any extesion ??

I've noticed one thing... In your screenshot , there is a small blank space after the letter u. That can mean that there is some ascii code, which is unaccessible by windows. The folder might have been created in dos... (Try searching for the drag and dropped file using window search ?? Is it accessible ?) ... Mostly May Not Be...
    I'm not getting more ideas... Hope ppl around will supplement.
    XNikon
    please don\'t visit www.BusyTalk.com

XNikon,

I am afraid that he is using WinXP so DOS is not available.

If you boot into safe mode, it is unlikely that anything in the folder is locked. I would guess that the folder has a corrupt header, so Windows cannot "see" it to do anything with?

I wild shot might be to run Chkdsk with a surface scan then defrag in safe mode. An old trick, but it does sometimes work.

Just a thought

I usually use this ute to delete my Cookies index.dat file. Works in XP. Miight want to give it a try. Just want to add that it does delete more than your cookies index! LOL

Dr Delete