Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How to uninstall DirectX?

Hi jinxy,

i am running windows 2000 pro. i have kinda a older box. it is running on a KMD-k5.
    I am guessing that his hardware does not support it. I would personally go for a retreat to the last known working version of DirectX? Otherwise re-installing the old drivers may well kill DirectX altogether?

After all Win2k is only NT5, and NT never fully supported DirectX anyway? A commercial, not an entertainment OS?

His call I guess?

[Jinxy - Delete your sound card, then reboot and let windows re-load the drivers for your sound card. You may have to supply the disk they come on or point the wizard to the directory they are in.
    The instalation of directx may have damaged the sound card drivers the above should fix this]

When windows restarts, it will load the same drivers that it had already as deleting the sound card wont delete the drivers for it.

You would have to uninstall the drivers aswell, but as directx is still installed, if it did mess up the drivers it would do so again once the computer was restarted.

I would try reinstalling directX from a cd incase it got corupted in the download, if that doesnt work follows nihil advice and go here http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2935.html and use the rollback tool to go to your previous version.

You wont be able to uninstall DX from windows without a third party tool as it has no uninstall feature and is an intergrated part of windows so windows cannot delete it.

There is a tool called something like directX disintegrator or something along them lines which will uninstall it alltogether. You will have to google it, sorry I cant remember the exact name.

The only other option is to do a search of your hard drive for DirectX , delete everything you find, then do the same for the registary.
    This is a very very last option though and dont be suprized if you end up reinstalling windows after doing this!

Good luck!

I got rid of directx 9 and the player i was using still didnt work for some reason. i uninstalled my sound card, and reinstalled it. the player still didnt work. but for some reason when i got a differnt one it worked fine. so i guess ill just leave it at that..
    but thanks for all the help

How did you get rid of it in the end?