Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whole Sale M$ Hijack?

Exclamation Whole Sale M$ Hijack?

Rather an odd thing this weekend noticed it starting at work on Friday 5/28 that inspite of peoples start pages being set that somehow everyone ended up at MSN. OK good firewalll at work good work came home. Have 5 different users names on one Win box at home W2K, different user levels cause of the ages of the kidz. Anyway the odd thing is I scan everything, yet this weekend starting Friday in spite of default browser settings at working being set to our internal web site behind the firebox, and at home each user I log into and the start page was set to blank (AS IN NO WEB SITE @ HOME is a start page). Some how all my home W2K accounts were reset to MSN portal is this Bill $ Gates and company or a spoof? Not to be concerned perhaps I'll move off to another box...just real funny how M$ did this or another person AdAware picked it up as a browser Hijack....is M$ that concerned and where the heck are the anti-trust people? They were guilty of sort of cornering the market is it an M$ oops beg to be forgeven ( that's the least cost) or shall they be held accountable.

OOPS not been around for a bit think about it 5 accounts W2K al want MSN as their home page. Like I'd ever buy a firewall form them! Who else noticed that funky little MSN start page???

Peace
    MP
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

I noticed it on my friend's machine. You didn't guess by now that microsoft shove's all of it's product's dead into your face by now? Sheesh, I just ignore it. Like I'ma use any of THEIR security product's
    Space For Rent.. =]

The world is coming to an end.

-Cheers-

Palemoon, welcome back! Where have you been?

Anyway, no hijack on computers I've seen today...

Peace always,
    <jdenny>
    Always listen to experts. They\'ll tell you what can\'t be done and why. Then go and do it. -- Robert Heinlein
    I\'m basically a very lazy person who likes to get credit for things other people actually do. -- Linus Torvalds

No it's not, the world is just beginning, 'specially with the release of the 2.6 kernels.

Microsoft, blehhh.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

The world is coming to an end.
    Why is that? Oh, and yeah.. Welcome back Palemoon!
    Space For Rent.. =]

That is the humm Root of the problem to ignore it solves nothing and it does nnot bring anything into the spot light Spyder32. The W2K box is just one of I think 5 at home, these people were GUILTY of Antitrust laws and then turn arund an flaunt it not only in the US but across the world. I've not been around here much lately for good reason I do it for a living 5 days a week and wekends a long one I know what I am faced with a browser hijack by M$ for MSN and users with complaints about their start page. I'm old and I'm tired but I do something I vote and well the FTC has my complaint. Ignore it ok your choice Linux an answer yes in part of the 8 servers I have 1/2 are now there...cause I want to prevent the 95% market share M$ has and I know the business I support form my years of actucally working in it. You see computer are not about what is in or out it is a tool and you can be the best damn geek and code jocky in the businesss of computers code and such and it worthless unless you protect, support and know the business area you are in...ignore it...me I vote and well Bush-Wacked enough I am by M$ and others...consider it and age thing...oops
    I believe that one of the characteristics of the human race - possibly the one that is primarily responsible for its course of evolution - is that it has grown by creatively responding to failure.- Glen Seaborg

palemoon glad your back i was worried about ya. but no i haven't seen this yet either!
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Your right, it doesn't. But if your going to buy a Microsoft product (I'm referring to the OS) then you gotta expect them to push all of their product's onto you. You can complain to them, but it wouldn't do any good. IMO they have somewhat a right to advertise THEIR own product's on one of THEIR own product's. The simple fact they do have that market share should tell you enough. They own too much. Now I'm not sure you could "go to court" so to speak with them browser hijacking you. But with their money and the fact that it is on their product, there's not too much you can do.

The best thing to do (like you said) is to use Linux. Unfortunately, the global market is centered around Microsoft's Window's OS.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Hey guys thanks for the welcome back well sort of had my function exported so a year search and a year back let me put things into prespective in my life.

Anyway I am not all to sure M$ is not behind at least the attempt on my home system. But at work I had it happen today and the symptons are the same only the sites are changed a bit. So just follow these links and draw your own results. People here are younger and faster then I at this stuff but my logic is still pretty good.

First one two IE flaws are found http://secunia.com/advisories/11793/

Then at http://news.com.com/Pop-up+toolbar+s...tml?tag=cd.hed the story is reported on. It is being invistagated by the FBI and M$

My problem is the first hijack was M$ and their we are working on a patch and here is our work around. OK http://www.microsoft.com/security/in.../settings.mspx

Oh and be sure to down load their new Pop Up Window Blocking Internet Tool Bar and set all your browsing ability off. Is it just me here this is how events presented them self to me...geez
    At this rate I'll never retire but have a flat tire to and owe the guy tht sold me the tire and the nail in it! Oops humor is not gone in my best Indian accent lets start here sir have I re-booted...yes (one week later) been there done that sir is not in my list ok can I have an american tech now??? but sir lets start from the begining...and that was on my high end $$$ firewall box....