Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Vulnerability Scanners

Exclamation

Originally posted here by cgkanchi
    Nessus's port scanner is also nmap .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi

Ahhhhmmmm......No....Nessus is not "JUST" nMap. Nessus can be configured to call nMap, as well as several external scanners, such as nikto, hydra, etc. Nessus has an entire set of it's own checks, that are not related to nMap at all.

Nessus is a vulnetability scanner
    nMap is a port scanner/enumerator/OS Id'er.

As for the original thread....I like nessus for vulnerability scans, the checks are keep up-to-date., if you runs the update prior to scanning you can ensure that you have the latest checks, and best of all it is 100% completely free.

just my .02

joe

Nessus and Retina are my tools of choice. For web server vulnerability scanning i prefer Nikto (its uses libwhisker).
    Excuse me, is there an airport nearby large enough for a private jet to land?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Ahhhhmmmm......No....Nessus is not "JUST" nMap. Nessus can be configured to call nMap, as well as several external scanners, such as nikto, hydra, etc. Nessus has an entire set of it's own checks, that are not related to nMap at all.
    Umm... i said that nessus uses nmap as its port scanner (at least by default), not that nessus==nmap.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Talking

Ahhh....so I see. Sorry for mis-reading your post!

joe