Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: problem with formatting my C drive

Originally posted here by Tedob1
    like it warns you when you start format.exe. you are about to loose all data on your hard drive. press (Y) to continue.

there not fooling around!

so why dont you have retore disks?

have you tried rolling it back (restore) to an earlier time?
    He's on XP, and unless I'm mistaken, XP doesn't have system restore.
    Space For Rent.. =]

adiz,

I completely agree with "nihil" I have went through many formats and reformats. Sometimes I get so angry with a shitty PC and I just am like screw it and want to reformat. But as nihil pointed out, you don't learn anything about your system. For instance right now you have no idea what is causing the lagg....it could very well be a quick fix in the registry or a quick ram upgrade and you went through the long process of a reformat.
    Quoted from CoolMeEddY,

I've been using my pc for quite a while, installing and uninstalling apps, movies, music, games. Just about any thing ... after some time it started laggin pretty bad, I got some apps like Ad-Aware to clean my internet files, defragmented my C drives and what not to stop the PC from lagg, but unfortunatley I think it's time to formatt it.
    I think he wants to get rid of application bloat, start anew.

He will learn alot from reformatting and reinstalling his OS, CoolMeEddY...it`s very simple what you want to do. Study the task at hand fully...take notes if ya gotta...whatever...then just do it.
    NORML

Signature image is too tall!

Atticus-

I am sorry if I misread his post but I thought he wanted to get rid of the lag on his machine. And I was letting him know that you don't always just need to reformat there are other ways around it

I would urge you to make sure you have looked at all the options.
    and i thought i made it clear ^ that he should look at everything (meaning i didn't rule anything out) but sometime you don't need to reformat it just seems like the easiest thing to do.

- Adiz

Spyder~ Win ME and XP have system restore, the rest don't.

Atticus, he won't be able to reformat until he gets his CD, and that will take several days. He now has a chance to try tuning a lagging machine............could take many months for that opportunity to arise again? I am suggesting that he makes the most of it, THEN he can do his reformat when the CD arrives? It struck me as one of those rare win/win situations

Yes adiz, we seem to agree that there are two ways of going about it, and by just reformating you are losing an opportunity to learn how to manage and tune the Windows environment.

If I were at work I would just tell the user to save to the server then "blitz" their machine with a mirror of the standard installation. If I were in a repair shop I would do the same, you really don't have time to do anything else, economically speaking?

Just my thoughts

A hundred bucks says if he ran a complete scan disk and defragmented the hard drive he would be 100% better off than before. I also see the point you guys are trying to make.

//Edit

I don`t use XP but can`t you go to My Computer and right click to bring up the format option? When you have a disk handy to reinstall (obviously).
    NORML

Signature image is too tall!

Atticus~

Yes that is an option in XP.

It's "check local disk" in XP rather than scandisk, but that then defrag is an old trick from back in the DOS/Win3x days

He still needs to get rid of the "debris" first.

Cheers