Thread: Forum Databases

Forum Databases

Well, although I know a decent amount of PHP, it's rurprising that I know almost nothing about databases...here's what I need to do. I have had my message boards set up on a phpBB forum, but all my users want to switch to Invision Power Board. I have the IPB installed, but I want to keep all the same users and post count, etc on the IPB instead of making everyone sign up again. Is there some way I could do this? Thanks!

Check the IPB site to see if there is a tool that will help you import your phpBB data into your IPB database. There are some convertors here:

http://www.invisionboard.com/?conversion

But they are charged for so it depends whether or not you want to cough up the money for them. I'm sure you can find a third-party script somewhere that will do a similar job though - just make sure you get one which works with the correct versions of phpBB/IPB otherwise you risk losing some of your data.

As a very last resort, you could write your own script to do the conversion or (if you have a small forum) copy/paste the data across manually.
    Paul Waring - Web site design and development.

Webius Designerous Indiginous
    Aye, as much as it sucks to do, I would either write a script to do it all, or rip it all apart by hand. (prolly write a script as tearing each table apart and putting it back together would suck)

good luck.

Try looking around http://hotscripts.com they have a good collection of PHP scripts, you might be able to find it there.
    WARNING: THIS SIGNATURE IS SHAREWARE PLEASE REGISTER THIS SIGNATURE BY SENDING ME MONEY TO SEE THE COMPLETE SIGNATURE!

Cool...thanks for the help...I looked at the link to IPB's site about it, and the only thing you have to pay for is support, so I downloaded it for free. THat's how all of IPB's products, including their boards seem to work--they charge a lot for support, but you can download them for free.

Ok, it worked, but now I need something else. Does anybody know of an app so I can have e107 and IPB running the same database so they have the same users, etc...THanks!!!

I would imagine that you would have to hack the e107 users code to do that, because undoubtably there will be some things that are in one package and not the other. I don't know o any scripts that will do this for you - but doesn't e107 have a built-in forum system (most big CMS's do now)?

Yeah, e107 does, but all my users want to stay on IPB.

Any particular reason why they want to do so? Surely it's more down to the admin, they're the one who has to work with the code.

I don't really have a preferences either way...and the forum is abotu the members as a whole, not the admin