Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Don't Need a Router with SonicWALL?

Question Don't Need a Router with SonicWALL?

Ok guys, I'm being driven crazy at the moment, so I could really use some input from the folks who know at AO.

We're currently running a LAN here with a DSL connection and all traffic being run through an old Cayman router that's on its last leg. So, we're currently trying to figure out the best means to replace it. In the process, we're considering moving from our SBC DSL to Comcast Cable.

Here's the thing: my boss, who handled all of our IT stuff before I came on, is convinced we do not need another router. He is absolutely certain that we can take a modem, configure it as a bridge, connect it to our SonicWALL, and the SonicWALL will handle everything else we need, therefore no router needed. Now this is new on me. He's got me completely confused as to how this is possible without a router.

Seems to confuse tech support too. This trick has yet to work as we have yet to connect the LAN to the Internet through either DSL or cable modem without the Cayman router. Both SBC and Comcast tech support are talking to me like I'm crazy anytime I describe the situation and ask for help. Nonetheless, he remains absolutely convinced we don't need a router.

So is there some magic to SonicWALL that I just don't know about that allows us to get away without a router, or am I going to have to find a way to convince him that his idea simply won't work?

When you say last leg, what do you mean?

When you say modem, what do you mean? What type of modem? Your DSL modem?
    Your DSL modem (ATM Bridge in most cases) may be able to do things like DHCP, NAT (Inet connection sharing), and basic port forwarding if required.

Is this what you are meaning? Whats the make and model?

If you do replace, consider using www.smoothwall.org and an old PC with 2 nics.

SGS

Well looking on sonicwalls website, some of their products look like they have built in switches. If that's what you have you might be able to get it working, if I understand correctly. If it's not one of the ones with a built in switch then I'm at a loss as to how you would do it without the router.
    -gunder
    So much to learn, so little time.

The Cayman is an old model (company no longer exists), and it's starting to drop connections pretty often as a result of its age (so sayeth SBC support).

DSL modem: SpeedStream 5100
    Cable modem: Comcast Terayon TJ715x

Basically, the modem is connected to the SonicWALL (SOHO3), and the SonicWALL is connected to one of our two Netgear 24-port switchs where all the other computers (all 20+ of them) are connected. That's it.

That said, IF that is sufficient enough to get all these 20+ comptuer happily connected to the Internet, configuring the SonicWALL to do so is another issue. I have to manually enter the IP address and default gateway of the modem. However, since Comcast dishes out IPs dynamically, I have no static IP for the modem to enter, nor a value to give for the default gateway.

I think we can indeed use it as a switch (still unsure). However, the problem is the SonicWALL has to be configured with the WAN gateway and WAN IP address of the modem in order to work. Unfortunately, since in one case we're using a Comcast modem for which the ISP assigns IP addresses dynamically, we have no such static IP address for the modem to use for that. So how in the world do I get around that?

So the modem wont give out private IP address info on its internal interface?
    That is strange...Are you sure?

That's what's even better, the modem has NO interface. I figured there'd be something like a configuration utility you could pull up on a browser via IP address (as is the case with the DSL modem), but nope, techie that installed it said it has no such thing. So I have no idea how to get a fixed IP and gateway out of this thing to tell to my SonicWALL.

Interesting problem.

I would ask your boss to let you try it your way (a way that you are sure should work) and show him the results (a working network with a firewall in place).

I don't know your setup, but in most of the offices I support we have a DSL or Cable internet box. From that we go to a firewall box (linux machine with two NIC's). From there we go to a switch and all of the winders machines have a static IP address.

The linux box can be set up for either static or DHCP on the untrusted side (the side that plugs in from the firewall to the DSL/Cable).

If you NEED a static IP, then you should be able to pay more to the provider and get it.

Good luck and keep us updated!

~Halv

I am still in the process of getting my ccna, But in class we were kinda discussing this scenario, It is my understanding that you can't communicate with other networks in an efficient manner(the way he proposed). It can be done the way he propose's but with a router it would seem to me case closed. Let me know what you guys go with!

p.s. tell your boss togo ebay for router

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    That's what's even better, the modem has NO interface. I figured there'd be something like a configuration utility you could pull up on a browser via IP address (as is the case with the DSL modem), but nope, techie that installed it said it has no such thing. So I have no idea how to get a fixed IP and gateway out of this thing to tell to my SonicWALL.
    Again Strange...

What happens if you traceroute from a box inside the network out to the world?
    Should show an IP of the next hop (might can be used as gateway address)..??