Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to uninstall DirectX?

Question I dont really know where to put this...

I downloaded directX 9 today and it is not working with my computer. For some reason now not thing is working when it comes to playing music or video files.
    My question is, How do i uninstall DirectX back to what i had before?

Alright, a few questions to help figure out how to help you out.
    1. Which version of windows are ya running?
    2. What kind of hardware you running on?
    3. Have you tried using the dxdiag tool to diagnose the problems?
    Alcohol & calculus don't mix. Never drink & derive.

i am running windows 2000 pro. i have kinda a older box. it is running on a KMD-k5.

Alright, what version did you d/l, did it come from MS?

What media player are you running?

What video card do you have?

Just for the heck of it, have you installed all patches for Win2k?
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

i tried the dxdiag. but it said there was nothing wrong. i am using domino player, it worked fine before i d/l directx
    i have a old sound card. its a aztech something..
    the box i am on is something that i made and i am only half know what i am doing.
    i got the direct x from MS. and i have no patches for win. 2k

OK, if you have DSL or cable, download all patches IMMEDIATELY! If you don't, order the security update CD, it's available at Microsoft.com in their online store, it's free. It includes all current updates, and comes with firewall and AV software.

Alright, Windows is not my OS, and I've never personally used Win2k, but a system restore might work, if 2k has it. Me and XP may be the only ones.

It may also be a conflict with your video card.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

It includes all current updates, and comes with firewall and AV software.
    Why he'd want Microsoft security software is totally beyond me, but okay . Chance's are it's a problem with your video card or speaker's. Use DirectX 9's uninstall file and uninstall. Re-install to your old one (you say you can't find it? downloads.com). If the sound work's for your old one then it's an issue of a non-updated component. Find out which one and come back to me.

EDIT: By the way, to answer the initial question: This should be in Misc. Security Discussion's or Microsoft Security Discussion's.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    This should be in Misc. Security Discussion's or Microsoft Security Discussion's.
    Uh. No. This should either be here or in Operating Systems. I'll leave it here.
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Hi Spyder~

Why he'd want Microsoft security software is totally beyond me, but okay
    I know it sounds a bit weird, but I have fixed several problems by running that CD. I suspect that it has rather more than pure security fixes on it?

Win2k does not have system restore. That first came in with WinME and got added into XP when M$ merged their OSes. Actually, if you dig around in some of the more obscure files in Win2k you will see that M$ call it NT5...............not that anyone would be sad enough to do anything like that

EDIT:

AFAIK DirectX 9 does not have an uninstallation file and it is a bit of a pain in the butt, but if he goes here:

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download2935.html

He can get a tool that will take him back to the previous version.

It is not an uncommon problem, as a lot of older sound and video cards won't work with it.

Regal Making Handler
    If dxdiag says there is nothing wrong i would suggest going to control panel>system>hardware>devise manager. Delete your sound card, then reboot and let windows re-load the drivers for your sound card. You may have to supply the disk they come on or point the wizard to the directory they are in.

The instalation of directx may have damaged the sound card drivers the above should fix this .

Jinxy
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry