Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Antivirus Software

Question Antivirus Software

HELLO, I RECENTLY READ AN ARTICLE FROM PC WORLD WISH MENTIONED THAT NORTON ANTIVIRUS DID NOT CACHE ALL THE VIRUSES WHEN PERFORMING THE SYSTEM SCAN,
    I HAPPEN TO HAVE NORTON AND MY QUESTION IS
    IF I WERE TO HAVE 2 ANTIVIRUS PROGRAMS WORKING IN MY COMPUTER WILL THIS HELP TO PROTECT MY COMPUTER ANY BETTER???????

THANK'S FOR YOUR ANSWERS

One antivirus is good enough. (Norton is pretty decent as far as antivirus programs go)

BTW: Caps lock broke?

Do you have a link to the article?
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

I dont think so. And some you cant.
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

I think norton is cool but AVG is the way to go....but you have to have more that one.

I think nortan is cool but AVG is the way to go....
    Because.....???

Many AV software packages will not install if another is present.

AVG is good for free software.

I like PC-Cillin from Trend as it performs well and is not too $$$

I like it because its free and ..I can think it has picked up more viruses the norton has on my pc...and you cant beat the fact that it is FREE......Ohhhhhh free

Norton is a system resource hog, they are slow to update their definitions and I personally feel it's just all around weak in performance. (speed, reliability, etc. etc.)

AVG is very good, so is Panda and Kaspersky is one I've been using for some time and I've been very happy with it's performance.

And to direclty answer your question, NO IT WON'T HELP RUNNING TWO ANTI-VIRUS PROGRAMS!!!!!!!
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I would not recommend having more than one AV running interactively, they reduce performance and tend to produce instability.

You can run as many different ones as you like as "on demand" applications.

You might try running "Housecall" from Trend Micro and Panda Software's online scanner on a regular basis?

Remember that all AV is retro-active for the most part. They will all miss stuff at any one point in time.

Cheers

The double-AV question has been known to spark some flaring debates before. It's a nice idea in theory, but I have yet to hear much support of it in practicality (haven't tried it myself). I've only known one person within these forums to attest to successfully trying it; everyone else is pretty vehement against it. I suppose it's within the realm of possibility, but one should handle all of your protection needs as long as you have a good one.

I second the others' opinions of AVG. It's free, self-updates, has caught viruses on my home machine very quickly, and even has a special screen saver that scans your computer every time it runs. I have heard that Sophos is better though (no idea personally). If you dish out some cash, I can say my experience with Norton has been very satisfactory as well.