Thread: Windows Media Player on start up

Windows Media Player on start up

Recently, I accepted an update from Microsoft for my version of Windows Media Player. It now launches at start up which I don't want it to do. The people on the MS boards are telling me it is malware or adware that is doing this but after running a deep scan of Adaware 5.0 it is still launching at start up. Does anyone have a clue to what is going on with this scenario?

Hass

Check your start-up folder. Also, maybe when you updated from Microsoft you choose for it to be launched on start-up. Regardless, it should appear in the startup folder where you can simply remove it.
    Space For Rent.. =]

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    1: open up regedit
    2: go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
    3: go to Software
    4: go to Microsoft
    5: go to Windows
    6: go to Run

Chances are, in there, you'll find Windows Media Player set to load something. Select the key, hit the phat Delete key, and confirm...should be good to go.

EDIT addition: you might also consider updating your version of Ad-Aware. It's on v6.x now and is a lot better. You can get it at http:www.lavasoftusa.com for free.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Ahh good advice Vorlin ole' chap.. Didn't want him to mess around with the registry too much if it coulda been easily solved by removing it from a folder.
    Space For Rent.. =]

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Good advice as well, Spyder32 ...I don't normally recommend doing anything in regedit either, but unfortunately, unless he gets a third-party program to maneuver that for him, chances are it'd remain there. I know a lot of people who have tons of programs start up and nothing's in the Program Files/Startup folder because most progs nowadays dump it into the registry.

One of these days I'm going to write that program that does that...sure it's done before but I've never messed with the actual FILES that make UP the registry, hehe...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Winpatrol shows your startup items....

You can check it in msconfig also, even if it is XP.

AFLAAACKKK!!
    In case you don't fully understand the instructions...

1. Click Start
    2. Click Run
    3. Type "msconfig" without quotes
    4. Click the "start up" tab
    5. Look at every program in that box
    6. If you find anything that looks like your windows media player then uncheck the box and click "OK"

Hope this clears any confusion.
    I am the uber duck!!1
    Proxy Tools

this'll prolly sound lame after all the other posts...but some programs do have a "Load on startup option" which you can enable/disable..checked your options in media player?

Thankyou everyone for all the help. I went into the regedit and carefully unchecked wmPlayer and that did the trick.
    I will remember to come here first before going to the Microsoft boards next time.
    Thanks again,
    Hass

AO's Resident Redneck The Texan's Avatar
    this has prolly already been said but, i will say it again, why dont you run msconfig and get rid of it on startup?
    Git R Dun - Ty
    A tribe is wanted