Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Trnsltr

Question Trnsltr

Is it true that the NSA's crypto department has one massive uber-computer that can decrypt any public encryption software in minutes?
    Run, eat, swim, eat, sleep, eat, do it over!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, I see you read that book too. Do I believe they have more computing power than we can fathom? No doubt. Do I believe they have a single machine with dozens and dozens and dozens and dozens of processors, more than anything previously recorded? Probably so. We'll never know, hehe...
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Dan Brown does the greatest reasearch ever. Here were the specs that i can remember of the UBER-COMPUTER known as TRNSLTR: 3 million processors. 1.8 BILLION dollars worth of man power and components. Goes down a total of 8 stories into the ground. Pretty impressive i say. They protest any new encryption software to make it look as though they cant break it. Well...if anyone can verify any of this, that'd be great.
    Run, eat, swim, eat, sleep, eat, do it over!

Banned
    TRNSLTR: 3 million processors. 1.8 BILLION dollars worth of man power and components. Goes down a total of 8 stories into the ground.
    Holy Shy7 .... i never heard of that one, i was impressed when i heard about the T6 lines governements use....but this is impressive, im gonna go to google now and research government stuff now....

Dream on, I mean about the verification part. You might as well ask someone to verify the coming of the saviour.

Do I believe that ALL encryption can be broken? No, not really.

Even with immense brute force computing power there are still some encryption methods which would take a few years to break, at least. Sometimes the people bringing these things to light are in actuallity, but unknowingly, working for the people that would like you to think that they have these types of capabilities. (I hope that made sense)
    Mankind have a great aversion to intellectual labor; but even supposing knowledge to be easily attainable, more people would be content to be ignorant than would take even a little trouble to acquire it.
    - Samuel Johnson

I do believe that NSA has more computing power that anyone else in world.
    I do believe that they "peek" a lot of messages around the world, on several medias
    But i dont believe that they can break commercial software criptography (the good ones) in minutes or even in days (or few years).
    Some criptography schemas can be breaked by brute force, like those using public-private keys - just guessing the 2 prime numbers! but in days? i dont think so
    Other are "currently" unbreakable, like one-time password that russians, chinese and a lot of bad use.
    But they can read your MS-Exchange encrypt messages....
    Meu sítio

FORMAT C: Yes ...Yes??? ...Nooooo!!! ^C ^C ^C ^C ^C
    If I die before I sleep, I pray the Lord my soul to encrypt.
    If I die before I wake, I pray the Lord my soul to brake.

Hah, can't believe I'm posting in the forum, must be a first. Anyways: Let us ALL remember that the government are people as well. They think similiar to us and have somewhat the same idea as us. All they have more is funding. So before jumping to conclusion's, remember that.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Holy Shy7 .... i never heard of that one, i was impressed when i heard about the T6 lines governements use....but this is impressive, im gonna go to google now and research government stuff now....
    Well duh. It's from a FICTION novel. While Dan Brown does research (he did use two NSA agents apparently for the research on Digital Fortress, which is the book that talks about trnsltr), remember that it is a piece of fiction. NSA has some pretty amazing equipment no doubt and will probably have some of the best out there. But I doubt that the specifics are available online. In addition, the book is dated (1998) so what existed then, may not exist today. I'd guess more towards AI and such in regards to encryption and such.

T6 lines?
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage

Maybe using that rainbow table cracking system I saw in a thread a few days back?It's supposed to speed up cracking by large amounts http://www.antionline.com/showthread...hreadid=257366

Just a Virtualized Geek MrLinus's Avatar
    Other are "currently" unbreakable, like one-time password that russians, chinese and a lot of bad use.
    As of today, there is no such thing as unbreakable. Difficult and long yes but unbreakable no. The concept of rotating data within the encryption as presented in the novel sounds similar to quantum cryptography. I'd recommend The Code Book by Simon Singh. He has a nice, understandable section on Quantum Crypto (which is hard to accomplish -- the understandability part).
    Goodbye, Mittens (1992-2008). My pillow will be cold without your purring beside my head
    Extra! Extra! Get your FREE copy of Insight Newsletter||MsMittens' HomePage