Thread: earthlink dsl service...

earthlink dsl service HELP

Hey everyone,

My earthlink dsl service has been acting up lately. It was fine last night, but when I got home today everything went wrong.

First my router kept saying "authentication failure", and long story short I found out I had to change the PPPoE username from username to username@earthlink.net

Next, I used to get assingned a dynamic IP somewhere in the 4.XXX.XXX.XXX range. Now, I'm getting all different kinds of IP's, which somehow are owned by Verizon (I checked on arin.net/whois)

Last, I've been hosting a personal mailserver at home, using dynamic dns service. That stops working too. I even tried a portscan at grc.com and it says port 25 isn't open....(so I'm guessing they're blocking port 25 now?)

What the heck is up???

Thanks
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

Ok you guys really have to help me understand this one. I did a tracert to www.aol.com, and look what came up. (See the attached picture)

Now why would my computer be going through verizon's networks if I use earthlink????
    (fyi 192.168.2.1 is my router)

Mike

-The Sawshank Redemption

Hmmm,

Pure guess, but could earthlink have been having problems and rented bandwidth or whatever from verizon. That might explain the user name change (so verizon can bill them) and the loss of some services.

Have you tried e-mailing their technical support? or just do a google for "earthlink" then sort for "problems" in the results. There are bound to be others?

Just a thought

I did go to live chat, but they didn't tell me much, just that they're going to change their policy for SMTP servers, which is the same that I found on google.com But I still don't know why I would be going through Verizon's networks.

-The Sawshank Redemption

I also use Earthlink DSL.

My experience has been that I've always had to use username@mindspring.com for the username in the PPOE config and that outgoing port 25 traffic is all routed through their SMTP server. I don't know about incoming as I've never tried it.

Traceroute to www.aol.com does not show verizon.net routers.

1 1 ms <1 ms <1 ms 192.168.1.1
    2 36 ms 41 ms 38 ms 172.31.255.251
    3 35 ms 34 ms 35 ms 192.168.24.49
    4 33 ms 40 ms 39 ms ge-8-0-169.ipcolo2.Chicago1.Level3.net [63.210
    00.197]
    5 37 ms 40 ms 37 ms so-5-0-0.bbr2.Chicago1.Level3.net [4.68.112.20

6 51 ms 51 ms 51 ms so-2-0-0.bbr2.Washington1.Level3.net [209.247.
    .130]
    7 49 ms 48 ms 49 ms unknown.Level3.net [209.247.9.178]
    8 49 ms 48 ms 49 ms pop1-vie-P6-0.atdn.net [66.185.139.85]
    <etc>

OK this might be the answer?

I am talking purely European experience here........

Maybe Earthlink have given up on providing, and are just marketing............one of you has mindspring, the other verizon, but both are signed up to earthlink?

I have seen it over here with some "store" systems...........they sub-contract the actual servuce provision to someone else?

Another issue is SMTP over a DSL link? Over here you would have to pay for that as a separate issue.......SMTP is for dial-up as a rule.

Just a thought