Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Presidential Elections: The Ads

Banned

Presidential Elections: The Ads

With presidential elections coming up, all TV channels are being flooded with Bush- and Kerry-commercials, and it's starting to bother me: how can the public ever form an opinion on any of the candidates when all you ever see is bashing the other candidate?
    I'm doing some research on those ads, and here are some of my findings (yups, they're all Bush-ads... I'm sure someone will want to do the same with Kerry ads)

Kerry: "I actually did vote for the $87 billion before I voted against it."

This quote of Kerry is being used in Bush ads, but I'm pretty sure 99% of viewers of that ad have no idea what it is really about.

The $87 billion is the money needed by Bush for the military operations, and the reconstruction of Afghanistan and Iraq.
    Kerry saying he voted for it, is a reference to his October 11, 2002 vote that granted Bush authority to use military force against Iraq at his own discretion.
    What he voted against, is the $87 billion needed by Bush. There's a difference between those two, and the ad doesn't make that distinction.
    At the time he voted against the $87 billion, Kerry was co-sponsoring an amendment (which was later rejected) that would pay for the $87 billion by rolling back the Bush tax cuts for incomes of over $400,000.

A Bush ad: "Kerry even voted against body armor for our troops on the front line of the War on Terror. "

In 16 of his 19 years in the Senate, Kerry voted for Pentagon authorization bills. The body armor the ad mentions, is part of the $87 billion package, which Kerry would have voted for if the amendment would have passed. Apparently, tax-cuts for those making $400,000+ are more important.

Kerry didn't vote against body armor in particular, he voted against a package of $87 billion (the body armour would cost $300 million, which is only .33% of the total package). And let's not forget that Gen. Abizaid was the first to acknowledge that over 40,000 troops had been sent to Iraq already without proper body armor (long before the $87 billion was even discussed).

A Bush ad: "As our troops defend America in the War on Terror, they must have what it takes to win. Yet, John Kerry has repeatedly opposed weapons vital to winning the War on Terror: Bradley Fighting Vehicles, Patriot Missiles, B-2 Stealth Bombers, F-18 Fighter Jets and more."

In 1984, Kerry indeed did vote against strategic weapons (the Trident nuclear missiles, mainly), and space-based anti-ballistic weapons systems (Star Wars, anyone?).

In 1989, Cheney (now VP, then Secretary of Defense) himself proposed a cancelling of the Apache program, and in 1991 he proposed a cancelling of the Bradleys, the F-14 and the F-16.
    Wouldn't that make Cheney an opposer of "weapons vital to winning the war on terror", too?
    Either both Cheney (and father Bush) and Kerry are opposers of weapons vital to winning the war on terror, or they both aren't...

A Bush ad: "Some people have wacky ideas. Like taxing gasoline more so people drive less. That’s John Kerry. He supported a 50 cent a gallon gas tax. If Kerry’s tax increase were law, the average family wouldpay $657 more a year.
    Raising taxes is a habit of Kerry’s. He supported higher gasoline taxes 11 times. Maybe John Kerry just doesn’t understand what his ideas mean to the rest of us."

Kerry never voted for a 50 cent a gallon gas tax. All he ever did (over 10 years ago) was complain to some local journalists, saying he deserved more credit for trying to cut the deficit. Back then, gas cost a little over a buck for a gallon...

He doesn't support that tax anymore.

But wait... someone else does...
    On May 24, 1999, a Harvard professor wrote an article entitled "Gas Tax Now!"
    (http://post.economics.harvard.edu/fa...mns/may99.html). That name sounds familiar... oh looky! It's Mr. Mankiw, the chairman of President Bush's Council of Economic Advisors! What a "whacky" man!

Negative,
    If you think it is bad now, wait untill September/ October when they start the wisper campains. Then any symbolance of truth goes out the window, and any lie, the more sentational the better, will be used.
    (sorry about the mis spellings......I can't get the spelling checker to work with firefox.)
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Interesting Negative,

Over here, what you just posted would be a great submission to the Advertising Standards Council, Bush would be forced to retract and heavily fined........that's the law........in the UK.

Actually our electoral laws only allow "Party Political Broadcasts" not advertising...........you need to have newspaper barons on your side.............I remember one year when on the morning of voting (!!!) our largest circulation national daily newspaper (about 5million copies per day) had a picture of a lightbulb superimposed above the contender for office (Like Kerry is now?)

The banner headline read:

"If this man wins today's election.............will the last person to leave the country please turn out the light"

We allow that

Good job Negative, you are doing research and forming an opinon outside of those who wish to control your thought, nothing along the lines of a conspiracy but they want you to think like them, they are salesmen. On both sides, you lean one way I the other. But....

You sure you don't want to do more research on them before I reply?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    I'm sure I've got all the facts right, RoadClosed, and your reply won't change anything about the facts

I snuck in some personal interpretations and opinions... feel free to reply to those

If it turns out I'm wrong on one of my claims, I'll blame it on my knowledge of the English language, cultural differences, and racism on your part....

This stuff is tame compared to the real professionals

The infamous “Daisy Ad” proved to be one of the very first negative ads in political history. In 1964, Barry Goldwater, the Republican extremist, gave a speech during a Republican convention that haunted him for the rest of his campaign. The first part of his famous line stated, “Extremism in the defense of liberty is no vice.” This created a stir by the media, which caused Lyndon B. Johnson and his campaign team to produce an ad that was known to be the “Daisy Ad.” The ad featured a girl counting petals on a daisy while a voice in the background counted down to zero from ten. At the count of zero, a giant mushroom cloud is shown. Even though the ad only aired on television for one day, the message shot across the nation. This ad suggested that Goldwater would get “trigger-happy” during the nuclear age and cause a nuclear holocaust.
    http://www.term-papers.us/ts/ga/pbk109.shtml

When it comes to dirty politics, your Democrats are the undisputed masters.

That year, Lyndon Johnson castigated Goldwater as a warmonger, and promised
    that he would not send any American boys to die in Southeast Asia.
    Yeah, right!
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

"Bombs away, with Curt LeMay"......................

I think that Bill Gates should run for president with "clippit" as his running mate?

That should focus you guys?

Ah Yes let the mud slinging begin. It must be nearing election day. You can smell the guano flying!

Reminds me of the ole, "I gonna reach over and poke you in the eye, then I am gonna reach over and poke you in the eye, then I am gonna reach over and poke you in the eye, well fine then I will reach over and poke your last eye out as well!

Know they are both blind and will fall into the ditch!

Connection refused, try again later.

I agree in the history of my lifetime the Democrats have been the masters of advertising. The rupublican party has always been critisized for being wimps and not fighting back.

Negative: Oh lord now I am racist? **** yo.

Well let me drum up my memory....

Apache: Riddled in problems throughout the 80s. Cheney is NOT the president. Kerry is running for president on a platform he is for defense, when he never was. Around the 1989 time frame the apache was undergoing extensive retrofitting. In fact its not the glory of all attack copters; it's a pain in the ass. Sure the Army would argue, but they are a wash, not really used for Attacking (that is what its designed for) but used in reality as reconnaissance and back line support. Anyone in the Army want to argue my analysis? Perhaps Cheney was right by eliminating a **** system and REPLACING it. A-10s do a better job and if you compare historical missions the Apache is a waste. Those things are damn cool though. Cheney never proposed eliminating a weapon that didn't have a replacement. There is a reason the Bush campaign is cashing in on these things. Kerry has flooded the people with his stance that he is for the war on terror and jumped at the opportunity to rally support that said Bush didn't do enough to protect us prior to 911, hell he was screaming it. While he constantly vetoes weapons and intelligence budgets in the decades preceding the attack. They are merely calling him on his own ground and his own game. It would take too long to go into the F14 and F16 but here's a one liner: Can you say F18-Hornet the official F14 REPLACEMENT which began much later than planned; perhaps 1991 was the original plan?

I admit never even checked to see if that quote was accurate. Just gave my own analysis of what I would have done in the same position. I would challenge that Cheney wouldn't just cancel and eliminate good fighters without a slow phase in. Especially the F16, but every country in the world has them now. Portugal, Singapore, Belgium, etc etc¡K all over; hell even Denmark has em. Yeah let's keep that one. Or should we spend money on new systems?

Oh if Kerry never supported the tax increase why the line: "He doesn't support that tax anymore?" Confusion here. Lol and Kerry adds tell the whole entire truth, nothing but. Showing him in all his internal glory. After all he does vote for things, right before he votes against them ya know. And he throws his medals away, oh wait they weren't my medals, I just, oh darn hold on they were my medals, but then they were someone elses medals, that's right and then, oh wait medals and ribbons are the same thing, no wait I voted for the 87 billion before I voted against it, but hold on Saddam should never be allowed to continue his weapons of mass destruction, ok I was mistaken, he should be allowed to continue his weapons of mass destruction. What I am not strong on terror? Its Bush's fault. Damn republicans, oh wait, nice republicans. Oh wait, its Halliburton's fault, and they all lied! They are liars, and they oh wait sorry. They are nice but it's still Bush's fault!

Were is Kerry's vice president!!!!!!! **** it's JUNE people, you are ready to vote already with NO one as his running mate. It amazes me.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    I never said Kerry never supported the 50 cent tax; what I said is that he never voted for it. Sure, he's been in favor for it, just like Mr. Mankiv still was in 1999.

Kerry used to be in favor of that tax some decade ago (when gas cost $1 per gallon), now he isn't anymore.

And about the Apache/F14/F16/Bradleys: why are they blaming Kerry for the same thing Cheney did back then: a proposal to cancel those weapons programs? If that makes Kerry a opposer of winning the War on Terror, then Cheney is in that same group... If Cheney isn't, then Kerry isn't either. Simple logic.

And everybody knows that Bill Clinton is going to be Kerry's VP