Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing SuSe Linux

Installing SuSe Linux

I tried to install SUSU 9.1 personal on an old box. It's 233mhz with 64mb ram and a 2gb hard drive. It says it doesn't have enough memory to load YaSt, and it asks for the swap partition. I don't have a swap partition yet, so what can I do?
    It is better to die on your feet than to live on your knees.

From the SUSE support area:

origional text: http://www.suse.com/us/private/suppo...onditions.html

Installation on a typical, private, standalone PC or laptop with a single-processor system, with at least 64 MB RAM (as of SUSE LINUX 9.1 128 MB) and 2 GB free space on the hard disk
    Looks like you are about 64 megs short of being able to run it. If it is giving you this error during installation, there isn't a single thing you can do besides using a different distrobution (with those specs I recommend slackware or a BSD flavor) or upgrading the RAM. If it is happening after installation and while you are using it (you shouldn't have been able to get this far) then look into the tools SUSE gives you for repartitioning.

So, the answer I need from you is: Are you getting this error during installation or after installation for normal everyday use?

I'm getting it during installation.

I'm not trying to sound like an *******:

When you don't have the MINIMUM amount of RAM to use it, then why are you even posting saying you can't install it? Of course you can't, you don't have enough RAM. This is why they put the requirements on the box. When you install something, the first thing you should be doing is checking if you have the proper resources to run it.

What does this have to do with *NIX security?

http://rinkworks.com/stupid/cs_hardware.shtml

BANNED
    from the suse instalation readme:
    System requirements

You need at least 96MB main memory. To install on a machine with less
    memory a (linux) swap partition is necessary.

he cant just make a swap partition?

When death sleeps it dreams of you...

How do I make a swap partition? It asks me for the swap partition when it gives me the error, so I'm pretty sure it's possible.

You can't make a swap partition, you only have a 2gb drive which is required for installation. You'll either have to get more ram or another hard drive.
    -gunder
    So much to learn, so little time.

Actually, the requirements say 400mb minimum, but 2gb recommended.

A 400mb install is the bare bones install, won't have much fun with that, but it does function properly. He can make a pretty good install of SuSE with 1gb and have 1 left. But you still must meet the memory requirement.

Also sounds like you are attempting a default install. After you get another ram stick, it will make the swap partition and the / partition for you.

Do some searching on AO for partitioning etc., it's not that difficult and most likely, eventually you'll be doing it anyway.

cheers

Connection refused, try again later.

Ok. I've never bought additional RAM before, so can you advise me on what's a reasonable price and how much I should get? Also, I should be able to figure out where to plug it in pretty easily, right?