Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spyware/Adware Removal

Spyware/Adware Removal

Ad-Aware - a very simple and effective program that scans RAM, registry, and hard drive for spyware, adware, malware, etc etc. This program is the most popular removal program and it's a must-have. Be sure to keep your reference file up to date. It's just like an AV: if you don't tell it what to look for, it can't find it!

Spybot - Search & Destroy - essentially serves the same purpose as the above. It also has some other features like covering up your web usage tracks, "file shredder" to make sure everything's gone for good, and a time-saving online update feature.

Hijack This - instead of targeting specific programs, this one lists the contents of key areas of the registry and hard drive. It's continually updated to detect and remove new hijacks. This one is a little more advanced so if you don't know what you're doing, you should post it here for evaluation before you go on a deleting rampage.

There are lots more but these are the more well-known ones.. Feel free to share with us your favorite proggie

Some other apps that make life generally easier:

Ashampoo WinOptimizer Platinum Suite - I've never actually tried this one but it got some good reviews and it seems to be really popular on download.com. Here's the publisher's description:
    This program delivers faster, easier, safer, and more thorough Windows cleanup performance than before. New features include an integrated IP spam blocker, optimized access to Ashampoo PopUp Blocker, optimized folder cleaning for the File Wiper module, optimized exception handling for the Drive Cleaner module, and multilanguage support for English, German, Hungarian, French, Dutch, and Swedish. The Platinum Suite is divided into eight modules: Drive Cleaner, Registry Cleaner, Internet Cleaner, DLL Cleaner, Internet Tuner, StartUp Tuner, File Wiper, and File Associator. Free up valuable space on your hard drive. Speed up general system performance. Avoid the need to reinstall Windows. The File Wiper module permanently deletes files and folders.
    Registry Clean Expert - this one does just what the title suggests: it scans the registry and cleans up for you. A lot of programs will leave little snippets of data in the registry and over time it can add up. If you're worried about it messing up your system, don't worry--there's a backup/restore feature as well.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
    (EDIT) Here are some add-ons recommended by others:

SpywareGuard - AngelicKnight

SpywareBlaster - AngelicKnight

Norton Antivirus 2004 - THEJRC
    (I searched "symantec corporate" but didn't find much... You'll have to find it for yourself )

nihil's advice:
    All I would add is update AdAware, &SpyBot then reboot and run them in safe mode. Also with SpyBot, run the immunisation option.
    PestPatrol - OverdueSpy

System Mechanic 4.0 Pro - JohnHACK
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hopefully some newbs will read this... I've seen too many people who post here about problems and just get linked back to the same programs thread after thread. If they would install these tools beforehand they could save themselves and us trouble.

Again, if there are any significant ones I've left out post 'em!

That's all for now,

mjk

I just scanned over the tutorial (getting late, I'm kinda hurrying), but I saw no mention of Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster, so I'll throw those to into the pot. Both are real-time spyware protection much like real time antivirus works -- catches it before it starts working, very handy.

I like to run a system kept tidy with a killer combo of Spybot and Adaware catching each others strays while Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard hold the front lines. Those four combined are an absolute awesome spyware-killing team, compliment each other beautifully.

Norton antivirus 2004 and Symantec corporate 9.0 also have spyware/adware detection and removal...

note... symantec corporate 9.0 is just now being released with this fancy new feature, but the ability to use the network management capabilities just makes me well...

I'm happy over heah

and in edit..... Nice Lester Mjk
    ~THEJRC~
    I\'ll preach my pessimism right out loud to anyone that listens!
    I\'m not afraid to be alive.... I\'m afraid to be alone.

Hi Mjk,

All I would add is update AdAware, &SpyBot then reboot and run them in safe mode. Also with SpyBot, run the immunisation option.

Cheers

I am currently testing Pest Patrol in my network environment. While it is pricey, the software has caught several instances of Spyware and Adware that Spybot missed. I have not really played with the brand spanking new remote administrative piece that Pest Patrol is pushing yet, I'll let you guys know how it goes when I finally get around to it.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Hey,

Thanks for the replies so far

To my great surprise I got this message from Ennis:

good stuff, ask another mod to make it sticky.

So I will ask:

Another mod, can you make this sticky?

I'm surprised this five minute spur-of-the-moment thread is sticky worthy!

Oh well, new surprises every day.

Later,

mjk

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    I just scanned over the tutorial (getting late, I'm kinda hurrying), but I saw no mention of Spyware Guard and Spyware Blaster, so I'll throw those to into the pot. Both are real-time spyware protection much like real time antivirus works -- catches it before it starts working, very handy.

I like to run a system kept tidy with a killer combo of Spybot and Adaware catching each others strays while Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard hold the front lines. Those four combined are an absolute awesome spyware-killing team, compliment each other beautifully.
    Thats a good idea about having Spyware Blaster and Spyware Guard holding the front

I too use Spybot and Adaware - Very awesome products.

Thanks goes out to the creator of this tutorial and the makers / programmers of these fine products!

Hey,

For more spyware info visit alt.privacy.spyware. The folks there will know what they're talking about (I hope). You can search within it to find whatever you're looking for.

Also try Spyware Guide Database. The way they sort everything sort of sucks but it looks like a pretty good list nonetheless. Also take a look at their product reviews section.

Lastly, go to spyware.co.uk. They have a good downloads page, among other stuff.

That's all for now. Good luck in eliminating baddies from your computer

mjk

P.S: Why isn't my sig showing? It it supposed to show only once per thread or something?

One more tidbit & suggestion HARDEN IE!

One more tidbit & suggestion HARDEN IE!
    Or... Just don't use it!

www.mozilla.org