Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spy ware and computer security

Spy ware and computer security

How can you tell if someone installed a program like spy PC on your computer and is monitoring your keystrokes?

Regal Making Handler
    Run an Anti virus/trojan/spyware program regularly, make sure they are kept upto date. Always be aware of what is running on your pc, Check the task manager for running processes.

Install only genuine software from trusted sauces. Don't surf for pRon.

Use a good firewall and check the logs.

Don't let anyone use your pc.

Be paraniod
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Spy Sweeper program

There's a good freeware program called Spy Sweeper that I use to scan my computer for spyware/adware/trojans etc (by webroot software, http://www.webroot.com).

Its free to download, and free to use, but you only get to download an update only once, and that's when you first install the program. But, it does its job. Anyone know a better one I'm interested.
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption

I made a thread about this here. I listed some good spyware removal programs in my post and others shared their favorite programs as well.

If you want a good free antivirus application get AVG.

A personal firewall is also a good idea. I prefer Sygate.

Later

mjk

Re: Spy Sweeper program

Originally posted here by yanksfan
    Anyone know a better one I'm interested.
    Ask and you shall receive -----> Swatit : http://swatit.org/
    All Product and File Signature Updates are Totally FREE, this means that you will never have to pay a single penny to get the very latest version of Swat It or to update the File Signatures.

Swat It is a Completely FREE program that scans your computer for Trojans, Worms, Bots and other Hacker programs. Swat It can detect and remove over 4000 different Trojan programs plus variants.
    Its slow and takes a long time, but it does dig deep into your system.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Also try Antikey at www.antikey.com It's shareware,so you're going to have to pay for it after a few tries..the firewall's the best bet to find out a logger if it's trying to access the net.On the other hand,if the attacker has direct access to your PC,I'd assume he wouldnt get a logger which would access the net if you had a firewall(Note:I've seen some that pretend to masquerade as windows update files etc so be very VERY paranoid when you see a program trying to access the net if you havent told it to).So checking your registry entries(HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\Run and HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version\RunServices).Search for entries that you think shouldnt be there.Note:You modify the registry at your own risk.If you delete valid system files you might have to reinstall.Also,you could check up startup programs,your msconfig(comprising of wini.ini,autoexec.bat etc) and disable programs you think are not necessary.
    I'd recommend the manual methods as trojan remover probs cannot remove every logger for the simple reason that if someone decides to code one's own and not distribute it freely,it wont be detected

Maybe I am paranoid on this but I saw a copy of this program in the IT guys hands. I picked up the manual and this program is suppose to run in an invisible mode that is completely undetectable. The only way to bring it up is if you know the password and type it into the run program. When the error message comes up with the right password, the program reappears.

I very concerned about leaking information to the company.

nothing..repeat..NOTHING is completely invisible..it'll still show up in your registry if not other startup options like win.ini or autoexec.bat..I mean,it has to load from somewhere right?

Antionline Herpetologist
    Don't use IE. Use a decent browser like Mozilla Firefox. I have nothing against IE (well, actually I do), but I haven't seen an ActiveX spyware that targets any other browser yet .

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

Re: Re: Spy Sweeper program

Originally posted here by moxnix
    [B]Ask and you shall receive -----> Swatit : http://swatit.org/
    It just said trojans, worms, and bots that it removes. Does that include adware and spyware?
    Either get busy living or get busy dying.

-The Sawshank Redemption