Thread: Router problem

Router problem

I have a shared connection.
    and my connection keeps droping I think is because of the number of people sharing the same connection.
    and I was wondering if some hos I could make the router give me priority. (I don't have configuration access to it), is there any program that force to keep a connection alive? or at leas give me the preference?

Thanks
    You are what you have conquered not what you have!

It is a home dsl connection shared between 4 or 5 people which is too much that is why it keeps droping.

But I was think to have some work around, I don't know much about routers.

for example if I create a program that would be pinging the router non-stop would the connection be stronger?

If your internet connection via your router drops it's most likely simply because it has some time-out function that disconnects after a certain time when there's no traffic. Does the internet connection drop, or the connection to the router?
    The above sentences are produced by the propaganda and indoctrination of people manipulating my mind since 1987, hence, I cannot be held responsible for this post\'s content - me

www.elhalf.com

It drops when I am using gaim, and others IM, but not every time, I think only when other people is using the connection

Originally posted here by profetas
    I have a shared connection.
    and my connection keeps droping I think is because of the number of people sharing the same connection.
    and I was wondering if some hos I could make the router give me priority. (I don't have configuration access to it), is there any program that force to keep a connection alive? or at leas give me the preference?
    Thanks
    If this is a true router issue, and not a software DoS type of vuln, then El-half is more than likely correct.

However, the wording of your post arouses suspicion. Let's see, according to your profile, you are a 23 year old student, and you are going to school in the UK.

You think the problem with the dropped connections is due to the number of people using the router, and you feel that you should have "priority" over the other people sharing the router. Now, you do not have configuration acccess to the the router. So wouldn't this be an issue to report to the administrator of the router, whether this router is located at home or at your school?

IMHO - In this instance, it sounds to me like you intent is to steal some extra bandwidth from school ...ahem... er home I mean, and you want AO to help you hack the router so that you can seflishly suck down all the bandwidth you desire. Oh. By the way, that is NOT what AO is about.

In all fairness though- I'll give you a chance to explain your motive better before I slap a big fat NEG on you.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

IMHO - In this instance, it sounds to me like you intent is to steal some extra bandwidth from school ...ahem... er home I mean, and you want AO to help you hack the router so that you can seflishly suck down all the bandwidth you desire. Oh. By the way, that is NOT what AO is about.
    That is so funny, when people try to make assumption of what they don't know. and is even funier when they are wrong.
    why I did ask? instead of assuming thing?, wouldn't that be easier?

No this is happening to some one who I chat with. and I really annoying when the connectio grops every 5 sec, we can't even talk.

I know what is the problem. I can connect to her PC and investigate. but before I do that I would ask to check if any one has already been through this so I would save some time.

thanks