Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advice from you?

If you want it to be more of a firewall and less of a server, I would HIGHLY recomend IPCOP. It's basically and stripped down version of linux running snort. www.ipcop.org

But I am still debating because I can also go with Win 2000 or 2003 server
    Whichever one you own legally. If you own both legally, windows 2003 server is much more resource intensive than 2000, so you need to decide what that computer can handle. While 2000 is much more lightweight, it is also not as easily configurable in terms of security, and the kernel of windows 2003 is already hardcoded to give priority to server processes and forking.

As for Linux in the workplace, I say put that on hold for now. Nothing can be worse than telling your Boss you want to use linux, him letting you do it, and then something go wrong due to newness of the OS and he hates it forever. So, I say get a feel for linux as a server at your own home first, and not mandrake as it's very core is meant more towards desktops. Think about slackware, openBSD, debian, or even Fedora Core 1 (NOT 2) when leaning towards the server side of Linux. Sure, in the end after configuration any OS can do the exact same things, but it's a matter of ease of use, ease of configurability, and which one you feel most comfortable with. If you think Mandrake can handle everything you need, go for it.

Linux is not deep water...

The real key is to RTFM. Check your logs, keep it patched, and you should be fine. Read up on securing Linux in the threads shown above.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

excuse me a minute here but, with all the firewals that he whats to use would this not cause some problems with the lan? sorry if I am asking a bad question. I mean that is alot of firewalls behind his connection. Are you worried that the first too are not enough or that someone on a differnt machine will attack one of the others? Just a question .
    I have 315 relays and 118 switches and have all the power of a calculator.

Actually Axeman,he'll be keeping just one firewall..we're just suggesting which ones he could try,and no,why would it have an effect on his LAN?

just checking, though I was reading that wrong. sorry about that
    I have 315 relays and 118 switches and have all the power of a calculator.