Thread: LinkSys WAP custom firmware...

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar

LinkSys WAP custom firmware...

I've been hearing things out in the field about a group of folks who develop custom firmware for LinkSys WAPs. Some say that the firmware increases WAP performance by about 300%. Since I don't have a WAP to test against, I was wondering if anyone has used this firmware and what results, if any, have been observed.

Here is the link to the group who develops the custom firmware:
    http://www.sveasoft.com/modules/phpBB2/index.php

TIA

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Hey Hey,

For those of you interested in trying it out, it seems to only be for the WRT54G or WAP54G routers, the site was very slow to load... so if ya don't have one of those routers, and were just going to try the firmware... now you know you won't find yours.

Sorry TH13, I was gonna test it. If you ever find Firmware for the BEFW11S4, let me know and I'll be more than happy to try it out for ya.

Peace,
    HT

Banned
    I'd love to try it out (I have the WRT54G), but I'm not going to pay $20 for it...

I have a very good connection all around the house here with the standard firmware (with both a b-laptop, and a g-one), so there's no need for a 300% performance boost. All boosting would do is create more security problems

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    Oh well, I was hoping that they had additional firmware available other than the G series. Thanks for checking though.

If anyone does have one of the mentioned routers, and you end up installing the firmware, I'd be very interested in any feddback you may have.

Thanks again.

--TH13
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Nagative, I am getting ready to build a wireless net at home. I am finally hanging up my personal bias against wireless security and taking the plunge. Mainly to pipe music around. What is considered good throughput in your case and what are the distances?

I would pay 20 bucks for a 300 percent increase perhaps?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Banned
    RoadClosed > The router is on the second floor, in the game room. I can go in any room of the house, I can go in the backyard, the signal is always (close to) perfect. As said before, the router is an 802.11g router. We have a 802.11b laptop, and a 802.11g laptop. Theoretically, the maximum throughput on 802.11g is 54Mbps. Since we have both 802.11b and 802.11g cards in the laptops, I'm forced to run the router in mixed mode, and if I'm correct this reduces the maximum throughput to 10Mbps.
    I can't give you any figures on the real throughput achieved, but I can tell you that it's at least 3Mbps (that's our cable speed, and the router-laptop speed has never been influenced by the distance from the router to the laptop... ). Streaming audio/video... it does it all

A 300% boost in distance wouldn't benefit us (since reception is always perfect), and neither would a 300% boost in throughput (since in our case, the cable connection is the bottleneck... what good is it if your router-laptop connection has a 150Mbps throughput if your internet connection only is 3Mbps...).
    If you're having heavy intranet traffic, though, I could see the benefits (having to wait only 1 second versus having to wait 3 seconds...?)

Thanks. It sounds perfect for me. I ask because in reality I have found that even a couple of hundred feet in the past made the connection extremely slow. G sounds great in the real world as well as on paper. I wouldn't be using it for internet access as much since there is a bottle neck there, as you mentioned. I would be looking at file imaging and audio streaming. Of course audio that is pressed on the CD isn't sampled at a higher rate than 455 kbs per seconds so even a slow network would work there. So I am building this sucker to by able to have connect and play as I desire. I was concerned here: If I stick the router on floor one, can I get it in the basement and the second floor and still have some muscle. Or even putting the router in the basement and getting it on floor 2 as well as the garge and the patio out back. Or if I stream can I stream it all over the house at the same time. Beats installing speaker wire, plus a little box in each room would be cool to control things. I plan on burning my entire music collection to a linux server then making it available to computers connected. All via wireless. Perhaps even duking out some guest on the electronic battlefield.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

I have heard good things and bad things about that firmware. I can't give you any 1st hand accounts of it but here are some things I have read:

ttp://www.pbs.org/cringely/pulpit/pulpit20040527.html

http://slashdot.org/article.pl?sid=0...tid=215&tid=95
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-

Getting around the single puplic IP address restriction, could definitely be worth the money, and that is just one little modification.

If you have a WRT54G, here's what you can use it for after less than an hour's work. You get all the original Linksys functions plus SSH, Wonder Shaper, L7 regexp iptables filtering, frottle, parprouted, the latest Busybox utilities, several custom modifications to DHCP and dnsmasq, a PPTP server, static DHCP address mapping, OSPF routing, external logging, as well as support for client, ad hoc, AP, and WDS wireless modes.
    Wow.
    20 bucks, hell yeah.
    West of House