Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: unix enthusiast

unix enthusiast

Could anyone show me the good place to learn unix somewhere on the net? or the book is necessary.If i have to get unix OS is it free or it is like microsoft?

UNIX? I recommend learning Linux before UNIX, as Linux is newer and UNIX is cryptic and old. Almost every single linux distrobution is free, so I'm going to ask three questions so I can better answer you:

1. What are your computer specs?
    2. What do you want to be able to do on the computer?
    3. How much free time are you willing to spend on learning a new OS?

Answer all three honestly, and I can answer you honestly.

If you want to learn Linux:

1. Look at gore's thread about Linux distros.

2. Go to www.linuxiso.org and download the distro of your choice.

3. Burn the ISO to a CD and install.

There are lots of tutorials online about installing various forms of Linux. Use Google.

www.linuxnewbie.org is a pretty good site. They have a forum where you can ask questions, a library of help files about various problems you might encounter, and a handy command reference.

That's all I got. Later

mjk

Thanks Poo sun. I am a very little known of linux. So far I know a liitle such as installing linus (which i did mandrake 9 & 10) commands are weired which can easily bring frustration and go back to windows, But I a have to learn linux. I am planning to join LPI next year.dunno if this help.

As you ask me

1. Computer specs, It doesn't really matter as long as linux do not have any problem PIII & above and 256 DDR RAM and above

2. I want to be an administrator

3. For now,I only have like 6-7hrs a week to give on linux

Antionline Herpetologist
    1. Computer specs, It doesn't really matter as long as linux do not have any problem PIII & above and 256 DDR RAM and above
    Even that is a bit high. You should be fine with a PII and 128 megs of RAM. X will just be a little slow that's all.

Cheers,
    cgkanchi
    Buy the Snakes of India book, support research and education (sorry the website has been discontinued)
    My blog: http://biology000.blogspot.com

I agree with pooh sun tzu about having a go with linux first, as Unix is all command line and you'd need to study and learn the command's first. Unix is a command line based OS (somewhat similiar to DOS, just more powerful) which require's you to know some basic command's to be able to move your way around the OS. For a basic reference of command's go to http://www.indiana.edu/~uitspubs/b017/
    Space For Rent.. =]

Spyder32, it all depends on what rajunpl means by unix. If he is talking about one of the unix like systems(freebsd, openbsd, netbsd), then no it does not have to be all command line. He should learn the command line whether he is using linux or one of the bsd's to get the most out of his system.
    If he is talking about Unix, then he will have to pay for its use and learn the command line.

Originally posted here by devpon
    Spyder32, it all depends on what rajunpl means by unix. If he is talking about one of the unix like systems(freebsd, openbsd, netbsd), then no it does not have to be all command line.
    Uhhh, XFree86 is still a separate program. BSD is still just a shell based OS that can use a GUI, so can any other version of UNIX. Solaris comes with CDE for example. Linux itself is a Kernel. And unless you install X, it still is not a GUI based system, and was never meant to be. Linux, UNIX, BSD, they are the same thing for the most part. If you know one you know the other, and if you don't, you can in a week.

I stand corrected gore, what we don't know is, what exactly rajunpl is looking for.

That's right boy! Take it like a man!

LOL, joking.

Anyway, some bastard did take the time to make a thread dedicated to helping choose how to do this, so I think he will be OK

Also, if you wouldn't mind, and everyone reading this, go look at my feedback thread and maybe give some ideas of what you would like to see? What you like? What you don't like? How I may improve the overall document?