Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Torture

Torture

A group of lawyers in the U.S. administration argued in a paper last year that President George W. Bush has supreme authority over the questioning of terrorist suspects, and can legally order interrogators to torture or commit other crimes against them.
    http://www.canoe.ca/NewsStand/Calgar...08/490225.html

I am dismayed.
    I came in to the world with nothing. I still have most of it.

Technically yes, it is a question of Executive Authority when conducting war. However, these lawyers were dumber than rocks to argue in favor of this. Not to mention that the President would have to authorise any such torture techniques employed, which might amount to political suicide. I don't think GWB would advocate extreme uses of torture. He would probably advocate "walk the line" mental and physical tactics, but I doubt he would authorise actual physical abuse (beating, maiming, burning, electic shock) or the threatening of an individuals life.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Keep looking at thoses memos there was a belief that the president was above the law and as president could set aside any laws he felt that he or his followers found inconviniant
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

He wouldn't have to authorise them. All he would have to say is use the appropiate level of persaussion to get the information then leave it up to the people on the ground to decide what he meant. While my personnel opinion of bush is not very high I dont think even he would be so stupid as to say it straight out.
    \"America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between.\"
    \"The reason we are so pleased to find other people\'s secrets is that it distracts public attention from our own.\"
    Oscar Wilde(1854-1900)

As usual everyone is tossing around items of inconsequence. This very short article states: that a bunch of lawyers sat around in a working group deciding what was legal under international and domestic law. They proposed what could be legal and what crosses the line to those in charge of interrogation at Guantanamo. In fact the article states that the military uses less actions than was determined to be legal by internal debate to the working group. This working group of lawyer’s consisted of Defense department and Justice Dept. persons along with some other possible government agencies (speculation).

Others read it as; Bush is above the law, torturing innocent civilians while laughing and eating chips.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Road check John Marshels artical in todays Wall street Journal. Either this president thinks hes above the law, or his underlings have so littel respect for his leadership that they are willing to toss him under the bus to save themself. the line I find most interesting is this one

"To protect subordinates should they be charged with torture, the memo advised that Mr. Bush issue a "presidential directive or other writing" that could serve as evidence, since authority to set aside the laws is 'inherent in the president.' "

To make sure we are on the same page, what is the link and is it related to the article of this thread topic or to Iraq? I need to see it to form an opinion.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Regal Making Handler
    There were alot of people hanged at Nurenburg, who's defence was i was following orders. In a free world we are all responsible for are own actions.
    What happens if a big asteroid hits the Earth? Judging from realistic simulations involving a sledge hammer and a common laboratory frog, we can assume it will be pretty bad. - Dave Barry

Originally posted here by RoadClosed
    To make sure we are on the same page, what is the link and is it related to the article of this thread topic or to Iraq? I need to see it to form an opinion.
    Road, unfirtunitly the Jurnal dosnt have links open to the public, you need to register wit hthem to access the artical. Honestly I figured you where a subscriber to it.

I get the paper but just glance through it, I have information overload setting on my desk in Piles.
    West of House