Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Registering in Windows XP

Registering in Windows XP

Was reading somewhere that after logging into Windows XP 50 times, that Microsoft requires you to register.
    Has this happened to anyone yet, is it true/false?
    [glowpurple]NooNoo\'s [/glowpurple]

The registration process for Windows XP depends greatly upon the version of XP being used, and after that a time frame, not a login limit.

1. Windows XP Home does require eventual registration to use, and if I remember the timeout limit is after 30 days.
    2. Windows XP Pro does require eventual registration, and if I remember properly, the timeout limit is 30 - 60 days depending upon the release number of XP Pro.
    3. Windows XP Pro Corporate release does not require any registration, as it is meant (and should only) to be used across entire networks on a single disk (legally, as the liscence for that many were purchased) and thus save the admin time by not requiring the registration process on each and every single computer.

hmm..just wondering..can you make your firewall block this?I didnt think so...but what's the reason?

Block the registration process? Well, yes you could, but then Windows would lock up, shut down, and you wouldn't be able to access it again.

Keep in mind that this is not a hidden process, this is something you type in manually to register with and thus connects to MSN to complete the registration process.

Hi Pooh,

I have a very early version of XP Pro.

As I recall, it is a two stage process?

1. You require an "activation code" that you have 30 days to get, or it just stops working until you get one (you can do that with an automated system over the telephone in the UK.)

2. There was no requirement to register, but if you don't you cannot get the technical support? (and you have paid for it in the price?)

I think that there is the ability to hide the nag screen, but it is a local thing, nothing to do with the firewall.

I had some problems with my first XP build/installation. Being a rather old fashioned type of chap, I assembled the minimal system and loaded the OS just to test it. OK, I activated and left it for a while, I installed a modem, so that I actually could register it online, but it reared up on me because I had altered (added) a significant number of hardware items.......so I had to telephone M$ (I am sure it was a free call number) and get another activation code, then everything worked fine, and I could register it as well.........and yes!, the little stickers are attached to the case.

I am certain that the ACTIVATION is mandatory, but REGISTRATION is up to you. I think that makes sense if I am building machines OEM to sell to others............I need to activate it to test it, but I do not know who the end user is going to be?

therenegade

I think that you are referring to a "nag screen", that is running locally............the firewall has nothing to do with it, you would still get it on a box that had NO internet connection capability?

Cheers

As I recall, it is a two stage process?
    Possible on the pre-pre-pre release of XP, but not on XP home or pro as far as all the CD's I've installed with it.

1. You require an "activation code" that you have 30 days to get, or it just stops working until you get one (you can do that with an automated system over the telephone in the UK.)
    Correct, on both accounts. You have to activate your copy via the nag screen which will contact MS servers, and in return it will send you the activation key. You can also do this over the phone.

2. There was no requirement to register, but if you don't you cannot get the technical support? (and you have paid for it in the price?)
    I've never seen an XP (home or pro) that did not require activation, with consequence of shutdown. If your XP doesn't do it after 30 days, maybe you have a corp version which never asks you, or .. who knows.

I think that there is the ability to hide the nag screen, but it is a local thing, nothing to do with the firewall.
    It is also not advisable. Windows Updates are going to very soon depend on your computer being activated. Don't fight activation. Do it, get it over with, the the updates and support that come with doing it.

but it reared up on me because I had altered (added) a significant number of hardware items.......so I had to telephone M$ (I am sure it was a free call number) and get another activation code, then everything worked fine, and I could register it as well.........and yes!, the little stickers are attached to the case.
    Correct, and the reason behind this is because they do not want people to be able to extract the Windows XP harddrive and just plug it into their friends computers ghosted. One small act of piracy prevention there.

So in short, activation goes almost hand in hand with registration, so just do both and get it out of the way.

Hi Pooh,

This was a very early version of the full product, maybe 4 years ago? I have now remembered I was having problems with drivers for the modem, and the sound and video cards. I had to get a telephone activation number, as I could not access the net at that time.

I guess that was an experimental period for M$ as well?

Yes, activation is essential. It is also anonymous?

In most of Europe I would suggest that enforced registration is illegal, as it requires the unwilling provision of personal details. And if it goes wrong they still have to comply with our trading laws registered or otherwise...............our laws override Billy Boy's contract lawyers?

My personal advice would be to wait until you have finished building the machine...........you have 30 days, then activate it, then register it, to enable the technical support that you have paid for. If you buy the product "ready made" just look for the registration facility and use that at the most economical time of day.

I do believe in product registration...........it puts an obligation on the supplier? and if you are so embarassed that you actually bought it..........why did you?

Another thing about registration, is that you get better deals on new stuff, and if you are a longstanding good customer, you even get free stuff sent to you, it is nothing unusual?

Say, I have been using a software supplier for 5 years or more, I keep coming back and buying stuff, so I must be happy?..................that makes me an unpaid "marketing agent" as I must be advising others to do the same as I do? So when I get the next version/upgrade at a third/half the price, the packet is a bit "fat" with other things that somehow got "miss-packed"

Otherwise you get sent a Beta to test, and a free copy of the final?

OMG!.............I must be a software whore?..................

I guess I take an old fashioned viewpoint: If no one paid for anything, there wouldn't be anything to not pay for?

Cheers

There is not a manditory registration of XP (home or pro) in the USA either. My copy of XP Home is about a year and a half old, and registration was optinal.

I did register it the first time I reinstalled it, but since then,I have not reregistered it for any other installation.

Activation as you guys have stated is required with in a 30 day period. There is a couple of different ways to beat the activation process, but if they actually work I couldn't tell you.

To activate by phone, your computer generates a very long numeric sequence you have to read or enter in to your phone and then it gives you back a similar numeric sequence to input in to your computer.

Activation via the internet was very quick and almost completely automatic.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Banned
    Registration is optional (in all versions, and has always been like that), activation is mandatory (in Home and Pro).

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/p...activation.asp
    Product activation is not the same as product registration. As discussed above, product activation is required and is completely anonymous. Product registration, on the other hand, is completely optional. You may opt to provide personal information, such as your e-mail address, for product registration purposes. Registration entitles you to receive information about product updates and special offers directly from Microsoft. All registration information provided is stored securely and no information is ever loaned or sold to third parties.

Thank you Negative, I was thinking that old age and alcohol had finally caught up with me I only activate them and register at the same time because I know who I am building it for, so I didn't know if M$ had changed the rules.............hey they want their e-mail, ISP and all set up as well...and I thought that I was lazy?

Mox.......................will you please stop spanking that dog...............we have elections over here shortly, and I was hoping to run him?