Thread: What Is A Tip or Trick?

What Is A Tip or Trick?

Inspired by mathgirl's post, I'm going to make a brief post on what should be posted here. As I see her point that it shouldn't be just post's with link's, here's what it should/shouldn't be:

What A Tip Should Be

A tip should be something (about a paragraph long, or atleast long enough to explain it) that could help another user in any certain field, be it Networking, Programming, Security, Hardware, Software, etc. An example would be the following:

When working with Window's File system's and on your home network, you should turn off netBIOS (network basic input/output system) as it leaves a risk onto your computer. Hacker's can use this method to gain access to the files on your computer.

What A Tip Shouldn't Be

A tip shouldn't be (as mathgirl implied) merely a post with a link as any user can google information. It also shouldn't be something of the malicious nature or of any nature that doesn't have anything to do with Information Security. For instance:

Yeah check out my k00l warez collection of hax0r tools at http://haxorsRus.com

What A Trick Should Be

A trick can be something like a qwerk or a "cool feature" in something that people might not know about. A trick could also be an Easter Egg (something the programmers of a system, typically Microsoft, programmed into the code of something for a little added twerk). Trick's could be anything that could add a little "pizz-azz" and flavor to anything tech related, such as:

Instead of using html code, why not use dhtml code? Or even php? Java? Well, then here's some information for ya and some cool little code tidbit's..... (insert tidbit's here).

What A Trick Shouldn't Be

A Trick shouldn't be a link (as said above) and it shouldn't be a link to a website that has malware/adware/etc or any corrupt javascript components on it. A trick shouldn't be "Gotcha!" either.

Anyways, that was a brief explanation of what you should and shouldn't post in this forum. Hopefully the mod's will make this a sticky that way everyone can read what to post and what not to post. I just wanted to make this a short and brief explanation for those new to the site or forum. Good day!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Finally you're making yourself useful! j/k
    -- AP Assignment from Negative

Neg, the only reason I made this is to up my campaign to be the moderator for this forum Oh well, guess it won't do me any good. Anyways, thanks for pointing out that I've finally made myself useful I agree, it's about time.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Are you tring to make me jealous because i never recieved one from him ?

Well, it worked.
    *sticks tongue out at you* HAHA!
    Space For Rent.. =]

Don't make fun of my wife like that.

And I never got any AP's from Negative either.

Negative, you owe me some greenies.... I'll figure out why later...

Spyder, you did good.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

I think that's what seperate's me from you and MemorY is I actually know a tiny bit about security and networking, and you two just bullshyt and post whore j/k. Or maybe Negative greened me because I posted something useful? Could be.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by XxFrostyxX
    i agree with you spyder, most people are post whores. oh well.. nothing really anyone can do about it.. anyway im glad to be back on this site..

old account./ xXdEviANtXx posts. 1868.
    I doubt if you were an old member, I couldn't find your profile ... no old members responed to an old thread just to add bullshit ... you could introduce yourself in the Roll Call!

Couldn't you understand something from your 1868 posts and the time you took for posting them?
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster

Blah, next time please check the date on the thread. No, I don't remember you.. and yeah.
    Space For Rent.. =]

Originally posted here by XxRealityxX
    and cluster, i agree what frosty did was rude. and uncalled for. im glad hes banned. he deserved it.
    heh! as you are trying to tell us that you are not the same idiot ....

Glad that frosty is banned .... huh ..you are half-away too ....
    \"The only truly secure system is one that is powered off, cast in a block of concrete and sealed in a lead-lined room with armed guards - and even then I have my doubts\".....Spaf
    Everytime I learn a new thing, I discover how ignorant I am.- ... Black Cluster