Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IE text size resets

IE text size resets

Whenever I restart, the text size in my IE resets to "smaller". Any ideas? apart from mozilla :-p
    Mama always said, keep your virus definitions up to date.

Opera
    -

Well, in theory you should just go into <view>, then <text size> and set it to what you want, and it should remember that setting next time you open it.

I am assuming that this is not happening?

Try clearing the browser cache and history.

Then get SpyBot S&D and Adaware6, update them and run them in safe mode.

Use the <tools> option in SpyBot to check out your BHOs and stuff.

It sounds as if you might have some sort of adware or the residues of one that are changing your settings?

Good luck

EDIT, you didn't mention which OS and version of IE you have............it would be an idea to make sure that they are up to date.

Or you could change your screen resolution to a smaller size, which would increase the text size shown. IE: change screen resolution from 1024x768 to 800x600 in the settings in your screen properties.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

Running Spybot and Adware revealed nothing but this: http://security.greymagic.com/adv/gm001-ie

I tested the exploit and it doesn't work.

Running:
    Win XP Home SP1
    IE 6.0.2800.1106 SP2

Hi,

I forgot to ask: does this happen when you close and reopen IE in the same session, or is it when you reboot.

Do you have more than one user account................are you logged in as administrator?

Have you used the <tools> option in SpyBot (start in advanced mode) and looked for anything unusual?

I have just tested XP Pro and IE6 and the settings are saved both on restart and re-boot.

You might try booting into safe mode and testing it there to see if it retains the settings?

Cheers

You might try booting into safe mode and testing it there to see if it retains the settings?
    Safe mode on my laptop defaults to 800x600 automatically and will not allow a change to that resolution, or text size.

Also on mine, a change in the view menu of Firefox as to text size does not hold when rebooting or even closing and reopening the browser. (sorry haven't tried this with IE)

Note: tried it in IE6 and it did hold the settings when closing and reopening IE6 browser, but I didn't try rebooting. (text size difference is not very great in IE, on 'AO' start page. between the largest text size and the smallest is very little difference.)

Firefox though will take it from huge to almost unreadably small.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

It holds the settings when opening and colosing the browser but not after a restart. It's no major problem though.

Hi Guys,

I have been doing a bit more experimenting.

In IE6 SP1 (XP Pro SP1) The text size is saved both on restarting IE AND on re-booting. The settings appear to be saved with the user profile/account, as I have tried it with two accounts. Both retained their own settings, whilst switching user accounts changed the settings.

Cheers

Hmmm, so it is happening at bootup? please try this:

1. Log on as administrator, change the settings and re-boot. If the settings are not retained, I would say that you have something unwanted running on startup?

2. Try it in safe mode, like Mox says that will give you a default resolution, but I am interested if you change the IE settings and then re-boot into safe mode again are the settings in IE retained. If they are then you certainly have something funny running. I am guessing that whatever it is, it won't start in safe mode?

Just a thought...................I suspect that you might have had something, and it has not been fully deleted.

The other possibility is that the default is the "smaller" setting and your account does not have sufficient privileges to change it? In which case changing it in administrator should do the trick