Thread: Sambar Proxy wont work

Sambar Proxy wont work

I`m working in a school. and at the minute each PC connect to the ISP. I want it so all my client run through a proxy server on my machine. The proxy im using is Sambar, its a great proxy which Iv had recommended to me VERY highly, but I cant get the thing to work at all about the best I have got is the web address appears in the Servers window but, it has a 500 error, and the client just has a page cannot be displayed. Can anyone help?

I've never used Sambar so I can't tell you anything specific about it. Are you able to ping out to anything on any of those PC's? Can your computer (the one with Sambar) get out to the net? How exactly do you have them networked and what OS's are you running on them?
    -gunder
    So much to learn, so little time.

I can ping perfectly, I can ping all client pc's and the client pc's can ping the server with Sambar on it. Because its a school our ISP the EMBC has set it up and we are sat behind a pretty hefty firewall, all the ports are locked down bar port 80 for the web we have email to but this is filtered too. they also run a proxy which we connect to for the internet. The server with Sambar surfs the net fine, everything on sambar is running through port 80 so it should be fine. I am running windows XP mainly with a few 98's dotted around.

thanx

Craig

Well it sounds like you might have something set wrong in Sambar. If all your machines can talk to the sambar machine and the sambar machine can get out to the web it should work. I would check your settings in sambar and see if you can find anything.
    -gunder
    So much to learn, so little time.

could it have anything to do with my ISP using a proxy server? I know I am sat behind the router and our internet is heavily filtered with all ports blocked. could this have anything to do with it?

Just Another Geek
    Originally posted here by phobophiliac
    could it have anything to do with my ISP using a proxy server? I know I am sat behind the router and our internet is heavily filtered with all ports blocked. could this have anything to do with it?
    You'll need to setup proxy chaining. I don't know Sambar but I've used other proxies. Most of them have the ability to proxy their request to an upstream proxy.

You then get a setup like this:

[client]---->[sambar proxy]--->[ISP proxy]---->[website]
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.