Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A newbie Q

Question A newbie Q

HI all
    ok as i sayed i am a newbie .... and you guys do a great job here and you all very helpfull for sure...so there is so many thinks in my head but i like to ask something first plz..
    i have an satalit intenet conection with speed 265 kbs upload and download.... but when i ask the ISP about the bandwidth they dont say anythink about it there for here i cant know about it anything.... not the bandwidth its the effect of it do the speed ....
    thx alot for helping me guys
    Remembered that if you are intending that hurts, steals, hates other people it is natural that they will meet you by the proverb.......
    wimmaster
    baghdad

I am not really sure what you are asking.
    I think you are wanting to find out your actual bandwidth or speed of your connection, and if that is so then go to this site and run a speed test.
    http://www.bandwidthplace.com/speedtest/

Hope that helps you.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

thx moxnix for reply but thats not the prob.. i have a conection speed right but i think there is something eles there its in few words i thinks its about how many request our backets its handle in secound.....
    sorry if i am not clear as u know i am a newbie and i have my first posetive antipoints today...
    thx alot
    Remembered that if you are intending that hurts, steals, hates other people it is natural that they will meet you by the proverb.......
    wimmaster
    baghdad

Banned
    I'm not sure about your question either, but I'll try to clarify some things for you...

The bandwith is literally the width of the band a signal uses or can use. Bandwidth is measured in bps (bits per second) and its derivates:
    1 bps (1 bit per second)
    8 bps = 1 Bps (1 byte per second)
    1 kbps (1 kilobit per second = 1,000 bits per second)
    8 kbps = 1 kBps (1 kilobyte per second)
    1 mbps (1 megabit per second = 1,000,000 bits per second)
    8 mbps = 1 mBps (1 megabyte per second)

If it takes your connection 1 second to receive a 1 megabyte file, your download speed would be 1 mBps. If it takes your connection 4 seconds to send a 1 megabyte file, your upload speed would be 0.25 mBps or 2 mbps.
    Your bandwith therefore is 1 mBps down / o.25 mBps up.

Most ISPs "cap" (limit) not only the speed of your connection (your bandwith), they also limit the volume of traffic (e.g. 10 GB per month).

Satellite connections are pretty interesting: satellite signals travel at the speed of light (as fast as possible), but what slows down them is the distance: satellites are placed something like 20,000 miles above the earth, therefore it takes a while for the signal to travel from and to the satellite (this is called latency). There's nothing that can be done about this latency: nothing travels faster than light.
    What can be done though, is increasing the throughput. An example: in stead of sending out just one packet, you would send out ten packets.
    This gives the illusion that your data is travelling faster, while it's only the number of packets per second sent out that is being raised.

Maybe that's what you are referring to?

thx Negative u r truly helpful but the prob. is that the ISps as i think they give u a spesefic bandwidth like when i am using kazza to download a file the outher pcs in my network working with the same speed but when i am using it to download 50 files that means alot of backets out and in the other pcs cant even browsing ..... (down worry about trojans) and i see my speed with any software its normal not above the normal that means the mater is with the bandwidth not the speed......
    please help me and thx for your reply
    wimmaster
    baghdad

K,you're saying your speed's not what you expect it to be?well,I assume you have background processes running like your firewall,which cuts down some speed

thx therenegade for your reply but its not that way i have a speed but i think that the bandwidth is something eles as i sayed like when i am using kazza to download a file the outher pcs in my network working with the same speed but when i am using it to download 50 files that means alot of backets out and in the other pcs cant even browsing ..... (down worry about trojans) and i see my speed with any software its normal not above the normal that means the mater is with the bandwidth not the speed......
    negative sayed The bandwith is literally the width of the band a signal uses or can use..
    that means there is something in satlite conection is not about the speed its about the bandwidth ....
    please help me and thx for your reply
    wimmaster
    baghdad

We use a satellite connection at our main office, and we get about 1.5mbps, however has neg said with satellite, the latency is horrible usually between 800 and 1500 for me (compared to 45 with DSL at our other location)

When your downloading a bunch of files, you are going to see your bandwith used up. So any other computers on your network will be slow on the net (especially since your on satelite).

If thats not what you want, sorry, but its kinda hard to understand what your wanting.

Bandwidth is the speed of the connection.

More files downloading on one computer = other computers becoming very slow with the net connection.

If your unsatisfied that you cant browse the net on the other computers because one computer is downloading 50 files, theres not much you can do other than limit the downloads.
    =

thx cheyenne1212 for the reply and sorry caus i am not very clear .....
    let me tell it in a few words..
    1- i download 1 file and i see the download rate in netlimiter or netstat and its 50 or 40 kbps..
    (the network and other PCs have a good net speed).....
    2- i download 50 or 40 files and i see the download rate and its the same 50 or 40 or 60kbps
    (the network realy slow and other Pcs can even browsing)..........

why???????? ......

thx
    wimmaster
    baghdad

Hello wimmaster,

Am I right in thinking that your question is:

"Why am I downloading at the stated speed and others are getting a very slow internet connection?"

The answer is basically that you have taken all the resource. There are two considerations:

1. Theoretical connection speed
    2. Bandwidth................this is a question of data VOLUME

With the ADSL link that I am using, this is known as "contention"

As a private home user I am promised a 512/256 link, but I potentially have to share that link with 50 other users. Now, if some of them start downloading big files, they seize resource, and hold onto it, so that my share drops dramatically. I have actually heard of performance falling below that of a 56.6 dial-up modem

I know that satellite technology is somewhat different, but it sounds as if your set-up involves sharing with others, so contention can be an issue, particularly if you provider has limited the bandwidth.

If you want to download large files, I would suggest that you employ job scheduling and do it when everyone else is asleep. If your provider finds out that it is you, they will probably close you account?

Cheers