Thread: new virus??? or am i jus stupid

Post new virus??? or am i jus stupid

i was on mirc a few night's ago and all of a sudden i couldnt connect to any site using my browser and once i disconnected from mirc i couldnt reconnect to it either. after talking to a few tech's we found out i could only connect if i put the numbers in instead of writing the site name and nothing we tried would fix it, i had to reformat and reinstall windows just to get online. did someone on mirc hit me with a virus?

Well,depends,most viruses/trojans on IRC tend to come via DCC.Did you accept any DCC files before this happened?And it sounds more like a problem with your DNS server if you were only able to open sites thru the ip.fcourse we'll prolly never know now that you've reformatted*sigh*

Thats definately DNS issues from your ISP. When you have to refer to the IP address it means that forward lookup was dead. When you reformatted your computer they probably had the problem fixed, so when you came back online, the format had "solved" your problems.

Remember reformatting shouldn't be a first resort in any case, almost always is the last resort.

i had the gateway techs and comcast(my isp provider) both run me through a ton of tests and nothing would work. everything on my computer was working correctly i just couldnt connect at all for some strange reason. at the tine i hadnt accepted any dcc sends but i have before on irc, i have downloaded music from there before but not at the time this happened

have you tried puttiing your ISP's DNS servers in instead of getting them automatically?
    =

Just Another Geek
    Did they ask you to check your hosts file?
    Oliver's Law:
    Experience is something you don't get until just after you need it.

it was an issue with your dns, who ever the tech was overlooked it and casued you a waste of a format. the techs you talked to made a mistake, live and learn.
    Everyone is going to die, I am just as good of a reason as any.

http://think-smarter.blogspot.com

When dealing with the help desks of service providers, it is almost always the customers equipment and not the service providers fault ----- according to the service provider any way.

Always take their recommendations with a grain or two of salt.

I once had problems connecting to a wireless provider, and called to see if they were having some kind of problem. They would have had me go and buy a new wireless PDI card, because mine had to be broken if I couldn't connect to them, but it turned out, when I pressed them, and the help desk finially actually checked, the service was down.
    \"Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, Champagne in one hand - strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!\"
    Author Unknown

I had a problem with SBC with a T1 line they kept saying I was sending over 2.9MB a second on their line and they warned me they would terminate my account and make me pay termination charges. Well I looked into it and about 3 hours on the phone got me to a real person with realy knowledge. We fixed the mistake (it was on their end) and all was good.

- Adiz
    Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

OOOUUUUCH! <throaty sound> That ain\'t cool baby.</throaty sound> (right before this I had made fun of the \'girl\' and she took it out on my balls... Luckily later on they were \"taken care of.\"