Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Firewalls for Linux

Firewalls for Linux

I've had some good replies with this before, but I am kind of curious what the Slackware users here use as a firewall.

Not a hardware firewall, or a "Linux Firewall Distro" Just a firewall you installed on a Slackware box and found to be good. The ones I find are usually just a front end for IPTables or something like that, which is fine, but they are also usually crap.The two I have liked the best are SuSEFirewall2 and the RedHat firewall. They both seemed to work better than a few others I used. So, what firewall do you use for your Linux boxes?

It's probably been months since I looked into this last so I need a boost back into some new firewalls for Linux that don't suck, and don't require a machine. I don't really care how great a firewall is if I have to use one of my boxes because it's a Linux distro itself.

Google pulled up a few things that were OK, but I havn't used any of these and want an opinion on which ones you have actually used before and liked.

I have actually yet to find myself a good FW for Slackware, but maybe that's because I don't know where to look. Got any good suggestions gore?

-Cheers-

If I did I wouldn't have made this thread.

If I did I wouldn't have made this thread.
    Good point... I took a look here and it had some pretty interesting information. It may be worth your time to take a gander.

-Cheers-

Banned
    both the "firewalls" you listed are just iptable front ends, just thought you should know

i love you both but why go with software unless ure pretty much on dial up which is rare these days.... most, pretty sure all, routers come with a firewall in them that u can figure to the upmost extent.. i dont know whyd youd want to waste ur precious resources or whatever htey are in linux on a software firewall..??

as for any that i know of.. i know 0, i played with the rh9 firewall for bou 1 hour and gave up =P

Originally posted here by RiOtEr
    both the "firewalls" you listed are just iptable front ends, just thought you should know
    Yea, I know, I think I made a typo. I was saying that most firewalls were just front ends for IPTables, and my two favorites were the RedHat and SuSE walls, as I thought they were great. Easy and fast to set up, and then you can edit it by hand when you have more time if you were in a hurry to just get something installed.

Heh, I got to quit making posts when I'm backing up my Pron and Mp3s.

I use iptables as the ip packet filtering process (firewall) and firestarter as the front end gui configuration.

Iptables is a killer and proven method for years, beyond tcp wrappers, and the prodigy child of ipchains.... Do we even need anything else?

Firestarter?

http://firestarter.sourceforge.net/

Front end gui configuration tool to set up IP tables quickly and in depth. The gui itself allows for firewall monitoring of the connections, as well as right click rule fine tune defining

edit If you wanted just a firewall instead of an OS + firewall, I highly recommend smoothwall. Consider it an OS that -is- nothing but a firewall.

http://www.smoothwall.org/