Thread: STupID CD KEY!!!! ARGH!

Exclamation STupID CD KEY!!!! ARGH!

Hey Guys!:

I put this post in Chit-Chat, seeing as I don't think my petty qualms with crappy placement of stickers is important enough to merit mention in another section... I mean, I don't get it, they should put that thing where you can safeguard it, it's incredible, it's....... oh, nevermind. Getting way ahead of myself. This is the deal:

I play Half-Life. Specifically, I play Half-Life mods. Even more specific, my favorite mod is Natural-Selection. Well, if you check their site, you find out they are releasing version 3.0, "Combat". Well, I wanted to try out the beta for this version, but at their download page it said I should run Half-Life through Steam, software by valve (HL developer) to control it's own games. Little did I know that this converted, re-stored, and erased my game files (as in, client, executable,ect..) Since it's stored in steam version and it's linked to the net, you can't play your games if your not connected (even single player) This (which it said in the install but I failed to notice) ticked me off. So I uninstalled steam. To my horror, steam took all my game files with it! So I've had to reinstall half-life. Anyone who has played half life knows that you need a CD-Key to install. Well, I installed HL about... oh... 4 friggin' years ago! And the Key is on a sticker on the seal of the flimsy paper "cd case" that comes with the game...which I lost God knows when. Up till now, I've had to use key cracks to be able to play my beloved game (with bots....sigh). But see, NS doesn't have bots. And when I connected to play online, the game (which is still half-life) authenticates with the WON server, checks that my cd-key isn't real, and I can't play.
    (Deep Breath).......ok. THis is obviously very frustrating, having to deal with issues of a copied cd when I really DID buy my copy of half-life.

Any Suggestions
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

Banned
    Go to a store--> open a box, copy the CD-key, close the box, walk out

Tough luck buddy... don't know what to tell you expect SOL, sorry outta luck. Go out to your local Best Buy or electronics store and I'm sure you can the game for like $30.

And the Key is on a sticker on the seal of the flimsy paper "cd case" that comes with the game...which I lost God knows when.
    BTW, Half-Life came in a hard plastic cover, not a flmsy paper one. =P

You said it... it used to come in hard cover. But the one I got was one of those "Super Special Edition Deluxe Director's Cut Platinum Extreme" versions, which comes with HL and the two expansions, plus Counter Strike. There it does come in a paper one. Now that you mention it, Homeworld and all my Blizzard Games are some of the games that I still have the cd key for, and... surprise surprise... they DO come in a hard cd case. Hehe
    \"I ONLY DRINK THE BLOOD OF MY ENEMIES....and maybe a strawberry yoohoo....and a...Pina Co-la-da!...
    If you like pina coladas....ugh!, gettin\' caught in the rain....ugh!\"
    -Sarge

heh I've bought like 3 copies of halflife now cause i keep losing the key

you can pick up a copy from amazon for like $18

v_Ln

BTW, Half-Life came in a hard plastic cover, not a flmsy paper one. =P
    Well that's weird over here in Aus, well at the store that i usually get my Games from it has always came in a Soft Paper type Box...

I've had copies of HL in both forms - either a cradboard box with a paper sleeve inside containing cd or a dvds like box with cd inside....and when I got the retail version of CS with HL it came in a cardboard box with 2 normal cd cases inside

in all cases however the cd key was printed on the back of the manual

v_Ln

I bought my copy of half-life for $10.00 at fred meyers. It might have been a sale but i dont think so. you could try www.serials.ws though