Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Ban on members

Originally posted here by MsMittens
    Colleges and universities are out here for 4 months. High schools and grade schools should be out at the end of June IIRC (been a while since I was in one of those).
    Hey Hey,

That all depends... I just started class a month and a half ago. My break starts at the end of August.... yay summer semesters . hah

Peace,
    HT

Noia is right, AO has gone down the pan recently
    well lets face it AO like any other forum, it evolves and the flavour or quality of the discussions are a reflection of the members who post frequently. In any case I've read these kind of posts on AO for longer than I care to remember - someone is frequently saying 'it used to be better' - looking at the halycon days of yore is part of the normal human condition I'm afraid. So if you (as in the general 'you' rather than you specifically pwaring) are not happy about the way things are going why don't 'you' (again in the general sense) do something about it and actually put some decent stuff on the boards? Don't blame someone else cos you're too lazy to actually keep some interesting discussion on the boards (and yes I do see the hypocritical statement there given that I'm just about to say 'work is a bitch'- see below)

I'm not having a go at you Paul cos I do like reading your posts (and I notice Rogue is here - someone elses posts I liked reading) and in truth I'm just as guilty of not posting anything decent as anyone else (especially lately - work is a bitch at the moment but some may see that as an excuse). I've said it before and I'll say it again - if you're not happy with the way things are going well it's only you who can change it in a place like AO(again all said in the general sense rather than at anyone specifically).

where I lay into Windows without fear of being negged
    now I am going to have a go at you pwaring - come on you can't use that as an excuse you have 11 dots and shed loads of AP's. Half the people here who might neg you aren't going to have any impact on that stash of green. Half of the rest who might give you AP's will probably agree with you and give you green... the other half who might disagree well - that'll only balance out those that do agree. The thing is (and some people forget this), is that a flame is not a random bitch slap and most of the time it just falls into insulting someone without actually giving any decent counter argument. You wanna lay into windows Paul (or anyone else) you do that - I'll be happy to provide counter arguments where I can (time and God permitting) - anyone wanna lay into linux - again I'll be happy to put counter arguments forth where I can (same exceptions apply).

Ok - then so here we go I'm up for an argument tonight.... or is everyone just going to go quiet on me?

Z
    Quis Custodiet Ipsos Custodes

Well, hopefully some of us new blood among you senior members will learn enough from you to start posting our own good stuff to contribute before long and restore AO. I look forward to the day I can actually write a good tutorial!

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Originally posted here by pooh sun tzu
    I heard a lot of things about GreekGoddess, good and bad, but a lot none the less. Who was she?
    DISCLAIMER: these are only my opinions based on my experience with GG.

She was good in CSS/HTML but outside of that, nowhere else that I saw. She clamped on to every high-level AO Op in the AO chat room, got greenies for absolutely useless posts, laughed at others openly who might neg her (one time being me before you could see who assigned the AP points, I post my name to all of them, she laughed at it openly and quoted my neg post in the AO chat room), and overall did not contribute to the overall goal of AO. Normally, I could care less about what one wants to do with a site but you know, the AP system is there for a reason and it shouldn't be abused. If there's a bunch of guys out there who're all gaga about any particular "girl" on the site, then fine, let the system be abused because nothing can be done about it. The system fails at that point and you might as well remove it, especially when you consider the fact that she ASKED to be banned and that request ACTUALLY GOT DONE. That right there shows favoritism and hypocrisy to the rules that are in place and once again, the system takes it in the shorts.

Women that are on this site that actually work in the IT field, promote their jobs through hard work and effort, and contribute to this site through good posts, helpful tutorials (not required), and other methods, I have the UTMOST respect for and will work with them any day of the week. The other kind, those little girls that want to come in here, prance around with some minute amount of knowledge, act all cute and whatnot to get attention and greenies...well, they can get a lot more harsh things that I could come up with that even a hidden post shouldn't reveal.

PS - it sounds like I have a vendetta against her, but I really don't. I just hate reading how X number of people think she's a "nice girl" or "she knew her stuff" when her post count came from 90% USELESS posts and that, my friends, is a failing.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

Master-Jedi-Pimps0r & Moderator thehorse13's Avatar
    They may have moved on, but they can't resist coming back (even if only to say that they have moved on)...
    Never underestimate the power of the dark side....LOL.

*sigh*

Summer is here. Let the phun begin.
    Our scars have the power to remind us that our past was real. -- Hannibal Lecter.
    Talent is God given. Be humble. Fame is man-given. Be grateful. Conceit is self-given. Be careful. -- John Wooden

Thanks Zone. Yeah. . . I have slacked off a lot. It seems like I have little time to visit AO anymore. I work my ass off. . then have to come home and help take care of a "clan" I help run. Posting on our forums. . . catching cheaters. . what not. . . . Maybe in the future I can devote more time to AO. . . we shall see.
    "Never give in-never, never, never, in nothing great or small, large or petty, never give in to convictions of honor and good sense. Never yield to force; never yield to the apparently overwhelming might of the enemy!" - Winston Churchill

hah Vorlin is posting again - me being the lurker that I am this recognition means very little to Vorlin but I will say that I always liked your posts - and much as I liked GG yes you are right in your summation

Z

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    Hehe, yeah, I've come back. I never really left but I got pretty disgusted with the way some things of AO were going. I believe this site exists to provide better education and the sharing of knowledge in all things computer-related and that those that do a good job should be hit up with greenies. If not, they should either be guided correctly (MAKE IT HURT DRILL SERGEANT, MAKE IT HURT, HOORAAAH!, haha) or they get hit up with the neg points. I've never been one to say that I shouldn't ever get negged because I have, and that's based on the opinions of one who may not like what I have to say. And that's fine, because we will agree to disagree.

And while I don't know you, ZoneWalker, seeing your status tells me you've been around long enough to gather those green points and if it's all based on good posts, helping people out, and whatnot, then that means a lot to me because you're another good poster. Contributition and sharing of knowledge is the best!
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.

And while I don't know you, ZoneWalker, seeing your status tells me you've been around long enough to gather those green points and if it's all based on good posts, helping people out, and whatnot, then that means a lot to me because you're another good poster. Contributition and sharing of knowledge is the best!
    well its good to see you around anyway Vorlin -whilst it'd be nice to think that all the greens are based on good posts - I'm sure they aren't. I've posted crap, but I try and help where I can. Well put it this way after 2 years being here I still haven't broken 1000 posts as I try and only post when I have something I think adds to a thread. I totally agree with you about what this site should be though. But on the other hand I'm not afraid to argue something if I think the other person is wrong.

I missed your post Rogue - I think the cognac is sending me blind - well it is good to see you around. I know how you feel about working your ass off . Fortunately apart from a g/f and two cats I have no clan to take care of - which I'm really quite glad of so you have my sympathies. TBH I'm just chilling after the day I've had now...

AntiOnline Senior Member souleman's Avatar
    I never came back to say that I moved on, I just come back to cause problems in that Addicts threads for a few days, then move on again until I feel the need to cause more problems
    \"Ignorance is bliss....
    but only for your enemy\"
    -- souleman