Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Saddam & Al-Qaeda

Banned

Saddam & Al-Qaeda

Monday, June 14, 2004:

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/South/06/....terrorism.ap/

"He was a patron of terrorism," Cheney said of Hussein during a speech before The James Madison Institute, a conservative think-tank based in Florida. "He had long established ties with al Qaeda."
    Wednesday, June 16, 2004:

http://www.cbc.ca/stories/2004/06/16...septlink040616
    Despite a meeting between Osama bin Laden and a top Iraqi official in 1994, there is "no credible evidence" that Iraq and al-Qaeda cooperated in the attacks of Sept.11, 2001, a U.S. commission report states.

According to the report, based on research and interviews by the commission, bin Laden reportedly met with the senior intelligence official "to have requested space to establish training camps, as well as assistance in procuring weapons," the report said.

"But Iraq apparently never responded," according to the report.
    For once and for all: no ties between Saddam and Al-Qaeda.

Saddam was just an "inocent" victim lost in the jungle of world politics. Poor guy.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/5223932/

The panel's findings were released two days after Vice President Dick Cheney asserted that Saddam had "long-established ties" with al-Qaida. President Bush defended the statement in a news conference Tuesday, saying the presence in Iraq of Abu Musab al-Zarqawi, who is accused of trying to disrupt the transfer of sovereignty as well as last month's decapitation of American Nicholas Berg, provides "the best evidence of connection to al-Qaida affiliates and al-Qaida."
    While I agree that the al-Qaida links may have been relied upon too much as a connection. I still believe that they were there. Maybe not on the top level of governmental cooperation as the administration may have led us to believe, but I dont think that Saddam Hussein would have minded the fact that terrorists dead set against the US would have been operating from his country.

Not that alquida only showed up after husain was out....did husain suport terrorists...kindof he supported an off shoot of the palistinians who where SECULAR he would not support as islamicist movement, more over Al-Quida was created mainly to distroy him (they targeted us after we set up permanent bases in Saudi Arabyia there first goal was t oprotet the Saudies from Hussain, the Saud's rejected them hence there hatred of the rulling party in Saudi Arabya.). They operate in iraq and expand there power base because of our actions there, our war in iraq has strengthend terror
    Who is more trustworthy then all of the gurus or Buddha’s?

Originally before the first Gulf War broke out, Usama Bin Laden approached the Saudi King and was willing to declare jihad upon the Iraqi's in defense of Islam's holy cities if necessary. This of course did not happen, as the Saudi's turned toward the United Nations for protection. This was the relationship between UBL & Saudi went sour, and began the intense resentment of the US which is what bballad refers to.

However I think your message is wrong. The war in Iraq may have made the US even a more hated country in the eyes of terrorists, but that doesn't mean we have strenghthened terror. I think that freedom is something that you have to fight for to keep. And that everyone deserves the right to be free. Currently alot of the middle eastern countries do not support many of the freedoms that we enjoy in the US. That scares them, and I think thats the basis of why we are hated. If doing that causes them to hate us, so be it. But we need to stick with Iraq, and anyone else who is being ruled over by an evil tyrant, as all mankind deserves to be free.

the independent commission investigating the Sept. 11 attacks said Wednesday no evidence exists that al-Qaida had strong ties to Saddam Hussein.
    The report asserted "no credible evidence" has emerged that Iraq was involved in the Sept. 11 strikes.
    so the commision said we can prove he had ties to al-quida but we cant prove those ties were strong. they also say there is evidence that iraq was involved in 911 but nothing hardcore.

if OBL were to go to trial in the US he would be aquited. We don't have any 'hard' evidence that he did it. Afganistan said we couldn't prove that OBL was responsible before we attacked and we couldn't. does anyone doubt that he was responsible?

saddam is a bad man. he openly supported terrorists and announced his hatred of the US. he is our enemy. the iraqi people were not going to remove him so we did it ourselves.

what kind of evidence were you expecting? photos of saddam and obl on the golf course with a tape of them discussing the upcoming attacks on the WTC? terrorism is a covert act how much documentation can there be? thank god defending our country isnt decided in court.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Banned
    "Long established ties with Al-Qaeda" Vs. "Iraq never even responded to his request", that's what this is about. Bush and Cheney have repeatedly used the "long established ties with Al-Qaeda" as one of their main reasons to go to war.

This shouldn't be mixed up with the discussion whether taking out Saddam was a good decision or not (I'll be the first one to admit that it was).
    What's going to be next? Attacking Canada for their "long established ties with Al-Qaeda"? I just think it's kinda scary that the war was sold by playing on the feelings of so many Americans (Bush started making the "long established ties"-claims right after 9/11. Easy and cheap way to sell your war).

Edit: decision, not discussion

Old Fart
    Hey Neg....you want to talk about things "long established", take a look at the Bush - Bin Laden family ties.
    Al
    It isn't paranoia when you KNOW they're out to get you...

Bush and Cheney have repeatedly used the "long established ties with Al-Qaeda" as one of their main reasons to go to war.
    Yeh, and because of oil, "nuke's", and because daddy said so.
    Space For Rent.. =]

neg, if by the selling of the war you mean trying to get public support for it. thats politics. going to war was a done deal before these claims were made.

"This shouldn't be mixed up with the discussion whether taking out Saddam was a good discussion or not (I'll be the first one to admit that it was)."

sorry i thought thats what you were saying.

so if it needed to be done and we did it what's the problem with how it's packaged. it also wasn't done to liberate the iraqi people either. well not really. i believe the plan was to make them happy and prosperous wether they wanted to be or not to cause discontent in surrounding hard core muslim nations.the enemy knows this to be true and thats why their fighting the rebuilding of iraq so hard.

"What's going to be next? Attacking Canada for their "long established ties with Al-Qaeda"?

now your just being silly. it'll be over lumber everybody knows that.
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”