Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: what is happening here??

what is happening here??

Greetings,

recently i have noticed a large upswing of very negative activity here at AO and can't for the life of me figure out where it is coming from. Just some examples are members arguing with moderators, constant flaming, cold sholders to people with good intentions.... the list goes on.

I know i have not been on AO for very long and this may be a phase that it goes through now and then, however it just doesn't seem neither productive nor like a place that someone would want to join.

My question is W. T. F. (mate ) is going on here, have we all lost our minds or what!?!? I joined AO because it looked like a place where people could share knowledge without worrying about occassionally looking dumb (hence the AP system)... Granted this was my first understanding of the site... Now it is starting to resemble my old highschool with all the clicks and the other crap that has been going on... i have also noticed that more and more threads are going off topic...

Will someone please explain to me what is going on here?? if i am just living in my own fantasy world (which is sometimes the case since for the most part i am socially retarted) please guide me back on track... I have searched AO already and have not found anything obvious, so if this post already exists (and is not like 2 years old) please show me where that is also.

thanks
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Full moon.
    Real security doesn't come with an installer.

It happens periodically. Once upon a time AO was plagued with "AP alliances" and the such (before my time), and there was evidently quite a lot of fighting. From what the elder seniors tell me, AO seems to be following this kinda cycle:

1) Someone goes psycho and flames and negs like crazy
    2) Psycho's friends go psycho to follow suit
    3) Psychos get banned
    4) Trolls appear for a few weeks
    5) Things calm down again for a while until the next person goes psycho

Wash, rinse, repeat.

I think the best way we can fight this is by ignoring the psychos. A lot of these guys want to get a rise out of you, so if you respond you're only fueling the fire. However, if their flaming thread goes dead because no one cares to respond, then they're disarmed and have nothing to do, and will go away on their own. But unfortunately, that's hard to do since most folks want to have the last word and make a snappy comeback.

But the best thing to do is neg, report to a mod, then leave them the heck alone. Posting back to a flaming thread only helps it stay on the front page, meaning the flamers are getting exactly what they want.

If it's not on topic, don't respond to it. If the thread's a trouble thread, don't post to it. That will help fix matters.

Well.... I guess it could also be that.

I still think it was a full moon.

Real security doesn't come with an installer.

i have also noticed that more and more threads are going off topic...
    Spyder32 ???

1) Someone goes psycho and flames and negs like crazy
    2) Psycho's friends go psycho to follow suit
    3) Psychos get banned
    4) Trolls appear for a few weeks
    5) Things calm down again for a while until the next person goes psycho
    Are you trying to tell me and albn something. j/p. Everything's gonna be okay, dont worry about it. We all like each other here.

Gore's morphine shipment did not come in and we are all cranky because we need a fix. (Or I need some caffiene this morning)
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Actually Nem, I never really figured out what the heck happened with you, and I'm not going to ask, but I'm glad things are going smooth with your new identity. As a general trend, though, that's what seems to be going on.

Heh heh, so that's what's been buggin' Gore eh? Yeah, we all have been a bit touchy lately, myself included.

Actually Nem, I never really figured out what the heck happened with you, and I'm not going to ask, but I'm glad things are going smooth with your new identity. As a general trend, though, that's what seems to be going on.
    It's all good, except people don't trust me with AP's anymore

It's ok, but I still think you're a cyborg...

Originally posted here by AngelicKnight
    It's ok, but I still think you're a cyborg...

Superman dive off topic
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM