Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Turkish EU Bid

Lol. Yes they wanted to balance power in Europe and make up for getting beat to hell by the British. But hey, no one in America denies the help the French gave and their dead who died in our favor. Alot of people from all over Europe died and we thank them and honor them whenever possible. They fought side by side our ragtag army in many major battles. Then we helped them and Europe from a mad man. So why the animosity? That was 200 years ago under the monoarchy of Loius XVI. Today the French government and I have differing opions. I hope their government does not represent the culture. I haven't been in France since the early 90s so I don't know.

//Edit Oh and those "republics" weren't them just tweaking the system.
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

Hmmm, well France over the last 20 years has been fanatically anti-American, and is getting worse.
    That is why they have never been a full member of NATO, as they still consider themselves to be a world power, able to dictate to the rest of the EU as to what it should do.

However, the new members of the EU (like the UK) do not share this anti-American stance.
    They take a more sensible approach that yes, a strong EU (both economically, and politically) is a good idea, but we don't want it run by France & Germany, as they have never represented the majority view in Europe, which they are now finding out to their cost because most of the countries in Europe are now members of the EU.

This is not the same thing as saying the EU should agree with the US on everything, but should take a sensible, measured approach on the issues, which France does not do.

Which country tried to stop the enlargement of the EU in the first place?
    Which 'member' of NATO is trying to block the deployment of NATO troops to train the Iraqi army and police force?
    And who is strongly opposed to Turkey joining the EU?

In reply to Nihil, I think Turkey joining the EU will be good news for Cyprus, because there is no way they will be allowed in unless they sort that out ...

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Neg: I said 2-300 years because some smartass was bound to come up with some pissy little scrap that they consider important...... We won't even go into the fact that the USA needed the help of both France and Germany back then because it seemed to be in their interests and now they stab the USA in the back at every turn because it isn't in their fiscal interest. You can have France..... and Germany.... Take them.... Please......
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Can I have Frankfurt?
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.

Can I have Frankfurt?
    Suuure.... Just send me $5,000 and I'll send you a very official, (looking), title to the city.... but I do still want a discount on the sausages.... Brats are better but I can do a frankfurter from time to time.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Darkes...................you are quite right old chap

Anyone interested in a two bedroomed place in Famagusta?................no gardening for almost 40 years..............probably needs decorating as well...........and will you take the washing in from the line

The UN will have to move its damn (illegal!!!) minefields as well...............

Nihil:

Dunno what Famagusta was like but I had a few "good nights" in Limassol.... Ahhh... the benefits of that free wine "mix thingy".... began with "C".... Brain dump.... at the "satellite office".... Cochinelli???? Something like that.... The benefits of that for poor soldiers was just great.... Spent 3 hours in a souvenier shop one day with a mate of mine..... The guy just kept going next door for more of it.... We spent six quid on crap in the end 'cos we felt sorry for him....

Fun place, Cyprus...... At least, the bits I remember.....

I always had issues with Cyprus.... which was better the Turkish or the Greek Baklava?
    West of House

RoadClosed old chap, that is a "Balaclava"..............a sort of felt hat with ear flaps..........

Comes from the British campaign in the Crimea......1850's...............charge of The Light Brigade and all that..............

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm?

Russia attacked Turkey..............so France and England attacked Russia????

Then we discovered soccer?

And who told the French about rugby, had better introduce them to cricket (caffard)...........at least the Dutch play it?

OH Well?

To add to negative's info on the French assistance against the English in America's war of Independence, the Spanish government also helped significantly with arms, milint, maps, and other means. The European powers of the day thought that England (Britain) was the bad guy back then and sorely wished to see her fall in the new world.

Times change and so does the "bad guy" it seems.
    Trappedagainbyperfectlogic.