Thread: 'Fahrenheit 9/11' sparks file-sharing flare-up

AO French Antique News Whore

'Fahrenheit 9/11' sparks file-sharing flare-up

The political firestorm surrounding filmmaker Michael Moore's "Fahrenheit 9/11" has found its way into the file-sharing world.
    The controversial film--like virtually every new release--has been circulating online for days. Early in the week, anti-Moore Web site MooreWatch.com posted a link to a pirated version of the film available elsewhere on a file-sharing network, noting that the director himself has publicly backed downloading the movie online.

The result has been a torrent of criticism from Moore supporters and his distribution company, Lions Gate Entertainment. The site was even the target of a denial-of-service attack a few days ago. But MooreWatch co-founder Jim Kenefick, a Web programmer in Hamden, Conn., is taking it in stride.

"Moore has said on many cases that he doesn't care if people download his movies or steal his book or sneak into his movies," Kenefick said. "If I can use his own words against him to be a bee in his bonnet, then I will."

The online flap may say more about the often-conflicting desires of creators and their business agents than it does about the political debate over Moore's film. While studios and record labels have uniformly excoriated unauthorized sharing of movies and music online, many artists--particularly those eager for the propagation of their political messages--have sent more mixed messages.

Moore's own comments came in an interview, clips of which have been floating around the Net at least since January. Kenefick said he was not able to verify the original source.

"I don't agree with copyright laws, and I don't have a problem with people downloading the movie and sharing it...as long as they're not trying to make a profit off my labor," Moore said in that interview, comparing file sharing to a person sharing a purchased DVD with a friend. "I make these movies and books and TV shows because I want things to change, and so the more people who get to see them, the better."

The downloadable version of "Fahrenheit 9/11" linked to by MooreWatch.com was on the BitTorrent file-sharing system, a popular peer-to-peer tool that is designed for the rapid, efficient distribution of large files. While the technology is used by software companies including Linux distributors as a way to circulate their products, it is also widely used to distribute first-run movies and TV shows.

Like many early pirated releases, the copy was shot by a handheld camcorder, with poor-quality audio and shaking visuals, Kenefick said.

The founders of the site, which launched in late 2002 after the release of "Bowling for Columbine," said they have not heard directly from Moore or Lions Gate about their link to the BitTorrent file. Several lawyers have contacted them with offers of support, if there is a legal question, Kenefick said.

A representative of Lions Gate did not immediately return calls for comment
    Source : http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5255240.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

seems like he knows that many people don't want to pay (here i would have to pay 10 bucks) to go see his movie... so is seems that he is only trying to expand his audience

i hate desperate people

Originally posted here by djscribble
    seems like he knows that many people don't want to pay (here i would have to pay 10 bucks) to go see his movie... so is seems that he is only trying to expand his audience

i hate desperate people
    I dont think that he is desperate, but he just wants people to see his message and make good decision.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Banned
    If you'd have the choice between paying $10 to see the movie in a theater (high quality, nice sound,...), or watch it for free (awful quality, poor sound,...), what would you do?

The people that want to see the movie, would probably pick the first option. The people that don't want to see the movie, would either not see it at all, or watch it for free.

Those second group of people wouldn't pay to go see the movie even if there wasn't an alternative and the theatre was the only option.

That's the reasoning of most artists who don't mind, and I fully agree with them. The second group would never pay to go watch the movie. At least Moore gets his message across, so it's a win-win situation for everybody...

I've downloaded it and seen it, but I also plan to see it in a theater and buy the dvd, to lend my support, and to make a statement with my dollar as well as my download. I like Michael Moore, particularly because having Bush as a president frightens me, it makes me concerned for the future of this country and the world. Anything to stick a thorn in Bush's ass.
    :q :q! :wq :w :w! :wq! :quit :quit! :help help helpquit quit quithelp :quitplease :quitnow :leave :**** ^X^C ^C ^D ^Z ^Q QUITDAMMIT ^[:wq GCS,M);d@;p;c++;l++;u ++ ;e+ ;m++(---) ;s+/+ ;n- ;h* ;f+(--) ;!g ;w+(-) ;t- ;r+(-) ;y+(**)