This may be the incorrect forum to post in, but it is a problem with software probably relating to the operating system, so here it goes.

I am running slack 10 with kernel 2.6.7. I have a DVD-ROM drive and a CD-RW drive, hdc and hdd respectively. I created symlinks /dev/dvd and /dev/cdrom pointing to each, by editing /etc/udev/rules.d/udev.rules (udev config file). I have given read/write permission through the same config file to members of the cdrom group when accessing the device files themselves as well as to the appropriate soft links. My user account is a member of the cdrom group, and I am able to mount a data cd from this account and read from it. However, when I launch gxine, it performs some setup for the xine engine, and says I do not have the correct permissions to read from /dev/dvd or that /dev/dvd does not exist. Occasionally with gxine and all the time with totem, it will exit with the error 'BadAlloc', with no apparent reason for doing so. Sometimes gxine will play the first 10 seconds of a dvd, then will crash. I have lildvdcss installed, with gxine 3.3. I assume all other software is relatively up-to-date, as I have the latest release of slackware, which came out about one to two weeks ago. Do I need to recompile xine-lib and gxine from source after updating my kernel? Or is there some other problem preventing it from working?

Some help would be greatly appreciated.