Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Microsuck Softs! XP stools!

Actually I was refering to period. I wasn't referring to over 9x. I thought that you meant period over all OS's and distros.

No, I am not drunk yet. Unfortunately.

Well then your being sarcastic, right?
    Space For Rent.. =]

C'mon Whiz, the guy is talking a network.................sounds like a small office.................2K and XP are far better functionally and security wise over Win98..............which I happen to like as it goes.

I had some bad experiences with XP................entirely due to gates' lack of appreciation for my enthusiasm............err like finish building your computer before installing OS...

The basic answer to our question would be that WIN98 is an insecure home system, but to impose XP on someone who has not had a chance to test it is not a good idea.............it took me about 3 months to get a reasonable knowledge, working in my own time.

my thoughts

The basic answer to our question would be that WIN98 is an insecure home system
    Umm, nihil. I attest that actually. My Win98 system is fully patched, fully secured (as much as it could be I guess), and work's fine. I don't know what possessed you to say such a thing (although you are right, 2k is better for functionality and security wise) but why do you say that?
    Space For Rent.. =]

My origional point was not one, based on the orgional posters thoughts, it was one based on Tiger's Thoughts. Me and Tiger go through this ever once and a while. He says something along the lines of Windows has advantages over *****. I usually come out of right field with how, explain to me how Windows is better than *nix. Usually the exact same is put back on me.

Now as for the origional posters thoughts. Windows 98, IMHO is a P.O.S. I can show you a list as long as my Uhm.... arm of exploits for it, ways to change the password file. Etc... Security Stability, you name it. Windows 98 sucks at it.

(Though as a side note, I will use it every blue moon to BS with.)

Xp, (While in my opinion is also a P.O.S.) is a lot better. It's networking Capabilities, it's hardware support. (Correct me if I am wrong but Win 98 does not come with USB support.)

**** even the fact that Win XP has a built in Firewall. (Which sadly enough most people never turn on.) Gives it a leg up on 98.

98 is pretty much an OS that can be considered to be like that car you had when you were 16. Sure it ran, sure you love it to death. But as you progress, you realize that the car was a P.O.S.

Now also, just to bring up another point, I am going to have to use Pooh's favorite line on this one.

It's not the Operating System it's the user.

Oh and to add a user in Win Xp, is fairly easy. If you need help post the question, or send me a PM.

P.O.S.== Piece of ****

I made my point, and since Tiger didn't say anything, I assume that I was wrong when I thought he said something.

It's not the Operating System it's the user.
    Exactly, which is my point for Win98. And an arm length's of exploit's? I could do the same for XP, 95, etc etc. They all have vulnerabilities. And IMO as long as you update the Win98 system, those exploit's will be useless as long as I update the patches and whatnot. So yeh, I'll debate to death that Win98 isn't a P.O.S (whatever that stands for, Poor OS?) and that if handled properly, it's a decent OS.
    Space For Rent.. =]

The original comment of the thread was that the guy had WinXP and was not getting on with it, compared to the old Win98?

Well I have come across that loads of times, only once in a place of work though.............Win95 to XP with Office XP................that was when I realised why the bloke spoke with a squeaky voice ........we got it sorted out of course

I use XP pro..................dirty little rat hasn't crashed for about 6 months...............I am obviously not torturing it assiduously enough? But my main love is Win2k..............

My point is we have a gentleman with a problem, I am not the best to help perhaps, but please leave him alone until we at least try to help..................OK he ranted..................I have heard far worse verbally, that's the way it goes?...........hey cut some slack here?

OH...............my Win98 is totally secure...............there is a 20lb tomcat asleep on top of it, and it is not connected to the mains............I must go and get a small dog flap for him...........he is having problems with the current access contol systems ..........oh...........he is FERAL..............

Now let us try to help this rather distraught gentleman who has ben forced to install/accept XP without adequate management support?

my view

AO Ancient: Team Leader
    Whizz:

I didn't mention other OS's.... The OP was ranting about the difference between Win9x and WinXP..... I was castigating him for his rant about the new system when he doesn't understand the differences..... Not whether *nix was better or worse than WinXXXXX.....

BTW, WinXP Is far better than any *nix system..... SO.... <LOL>
    Don\'t SYN us.... We\'ll SYN you.....
    \"A nation that draws too broad a difference between its scholars and its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards, and its fighting done by fools.\" - Thucydides

Well the only way you are going to master windows xp is to spend as much time as you possibly can with it and go through every option and folder and there are tutorials here on A.O and the web itself that you could read. you are ahead of most people if you realize it or not because you have previous experience with windows 98. I am sure you would be going through the same thing if it was a totally new operating system such as linux, Suse Etc. When you were a baby you had to learn to walk at first you would fall on your on your ass but did you give up? Of course not so like I said before just take any free time you have and explore the O.S to find out everything you can about it.
    Just my opinion about it.

iankestor is bad!

I really should have found a better place to rant. Unfortunately the computer industries have effectively made it impossible to communicate directly to the companies along the lines of: "Excuse me, I do not understand why you would xxx. This makes use of the software more difficult." I don't think this kind of posting was quite the intention behind AntiOnline and I appologize to all those for the nature of my initial comments.

I have found XP more confusing in comparison to my ability to learn on the fly with 3.1, 95, 98, ME, NT 4.0, and 2000. That could just be me getting old. Also unfortunately, I work for a small company that does not have an actual budget to send one or more people to classes to learn the software. Today I evicted a lizard and in a few minutes have to call the air conditioning repairman. Last night I added a new user to the phone system (4 different tasks) and networking stuff (6 different places plus 4 different places in the database). I hope to close Accounts Payable for June, 2004 tomorrow night, and somewhere in there would like to do some database programming. All this makes me glad of a supportive community like Anti-Online, even if I have antagonized some people with... A USER PROBLEM!

I still say that in our environment, Win98 allows one of the salespeople to user any computer in the office with less than two minutes work that the user can handle. XP requires a technically savvy user to set things up for the new user who is borrowing the XP PC. Maybe there is a way to allow any user to operate XP and I have not come across it.

Yes - my biggest problem with XP is that I don't understand it. But I have found nothing to like that is new in XP. Unfortunately I am also too much jack of all trades, master of none.

And by the way (to actually make this somewhat to the point of Anti-Online), does anyone know how to make an XP boot with NumLock on?

Thank you all for your very good and valid points and lively discussion, as well as the offers of support.