Thread: What is the correct name for the Handicaped?

Question What is the correct name for the Handicaped?

Columnist Diane Hirth of the Tallahassee Democrat lets us in on a secret: that the term “disabled” is no longer in vogue when referred to people with handicaps. The new preferred terminology? “Persons with disabilities.”
    Original Article: http://www.tallahassee.com/mld/tallahassee/9187359.htm

What ever happened to the good ole days where people were proud of thier handicap? I guess we need a new influx of Pirates to pull it off.

Let me name a few.

Captain Hook
    One-eyed Willy
    Long John Silver
    Handiman (Not a Pirate but appropriate)

All kidding aside this is as good as black people wanting to be called "People of Color instead of "Colored People." You know, in that light I guess the NAACP needs to change its name to remain politically correct. Hee Hee.

Someone needs to let folks in the UK know. They may want to change the title of next year’s “Disabilism Summit.” Or maybe not. We can’t figure it out anymore either.
    The mentally handicaped are persecuted in this great country, and I say rightfully so! These people are NUTS!!!!

Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it "Beantown."
    I'll tell you though, I've been a DIABETIC for 21 years. Just recently, a few of my friends started referring to themselves as people who happen to have diabetes. I can understand the idea of addressing the person, not the disease, but for someone like me who's disease has played a big part in defining me for so long, I can't stand to be called a "person with diabetes." I think a lot of it has to do with personal preference, but I am a DIABETIC and always will be.
    Above ground, vertical, and exchanging gasses.
    Now you see me | Now you don't
    "Relax, Bender; It was just a dream. There's no such thing as two." ~ Fry
    sometimes my computer goes down on me

maybe we should rename disabled veterans to soldiers still fighting?
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

Timmy!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.

BANNED
    Anyone seen George Carlins bit called Euphamisms. I think it covers this topic quite well.
    I may have an .mp3 of it but I can't find it right now.
    Heh, TIMMY!
    When death sleeps it dreams of you...

Yeh, you got it:
    Timmy!
    West of House
    You are standing in an open field west of a white house, with a boarded front door.
    There is a small mailbox here.