Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Japan school kids to be tagged with RFID chips

AO French Antique News Whore

Japan school kids to be tagged with RFID chips

Japanese authorities decide tracking is best way to protect kids
    The rights and wrongs of using radio frequency identification (RFID) tags on humans have been debated since the tracking tags reached the technological mainstream. Now, school authorities in the Japanese city of Osaka have decided the benefits outweigh the disadvantages and will now be chipping children in one primary school.

The tags will be read by readers installed in school gates and other key locations to track the kids' movements.

The chips will be put onto kids' schoolbags, name tags or clothing in one Wakayama prefecture school. Denmark's Legoland introduced a similar scheme last month to stop young children going astray.

RFID is more commonly found in supermarket and other retailers' supply chains, however, companies are now seeking more innovative ways to derive value from the tracking technology. Delta Air Lines recently announced it would be using RFID to track travelers' luggage.
    Source : http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1104_2-5266700.html

WOW! That all I have to said!
    -Simon \"SDK\"

Are the parents comfortable with that? I understand the concept behind it, but I'm not sure I would like that too much if it was one of my children.

If i had children and there school brought this into effect, i'd happily support it as at least you know that your young child is safe at school, with all the perverts around praying on young children at least if a child got led from the school ground the tag would alert the school about it, and before the child could get to far they would be easy to track down and brought back to the school..
    I see it as an added Safety measure, and i would openly support this being used in any school.
    And it would also be userful to help stop younger children leaving the school grounds and walking onto oncoming traffic, just think of all the things these devices could be programmed to do..

well theres my 2 cents on this subject

cheers big ears
    .:f2b:.

Having a young child, and seeing the quality of supervision in some public schools, I think this could be a great idea. Kids tend to wander, and one teacher trying to watch 20 kids is badly outnumbered.

However, I would draw the line at attaching these tags to anything my child would wear/use out of school. I am confident in my own supervision abilities and would not want "Big Brother" to be able to track my child, and hence myself, outside of school hours. Rather the chips should be attached to something that the child would only use at school - perhaps an ID tag or bracelet of some sort....

on the other hand, it would be great to have these outside of schools, because if someone was kidnapped, it is most likely the kidnapper wouldn't realize the kid had the tag until AFTER they got back to the hideout
    [gloworange]find / -name \"*your_base*\" -exec chown us:us {} \\;[/gloworange] [glowpurple]Trust No One[/glowpurple][shadow] Use Hardened Gentoo [/shadow]
    CATAPULTAM HABEO. NISI PECUNIAM OMNEM MIHI DABIS, AD CAPUT TUUM SAXUM IMMANE MITTAM

Originally posted here by djscribble
    on the other hand, it would be great to have these outside of schools, because if someone was kidnapped, it is most likely the kidnapper wouldn't realize the kid had the tag until AFTER they got back to the hideout
    And who controls these systems? Do you want your government? The police? A company?

Edit: Interesting words for someone with "Trust no one" in their sig.
    N00b> STFU i r teh 1337 (english: You must be mistaken, good sir or madam. I believe myself to be quite a good player. On an unrelated matter, I also apparently enjoy math.)

Sounds great, but pretty soon the nude teen camp fad will reach Japan, and then, because no one wears name tags or book bags, they'll put chips in their brains, then the super mad robot engineers in Tokyo will create robots of the children, and will then program them to vote for Kerry, and then...

Really, this is a tad extreme. If you want to protect children, do it like in the old days. Teach them karate, so they can kick some molester ass.

I agree with CXGJarrod, who would you really trust with the knowledge of how long your child takes on the s***er!?! I wouldn't trust the government, I'm the guy who thinks the questions on the census are ridiculus.

the problem with this is that these kids will grow up thinking this is normal and will not object when everyone has to have them.

my second objection to such a program is the fact thats its manditory. if someone thinks their kids should be chiped...let them go out and have it done them selves like they'd lo-jack their car. why is is necessary to force everyones kids to have this? (see objection #1)
    Bukhari:V3B48N826 “The Prophet said, ‘Isn’t the witness of a woman equal to half of that of a man?’ The women said, ‘Yes.’ He said, ‘This is because of the deficiency of a woman’s mind.’”

the problem with this is that these kids will grow up thinking this is normal and will not object when everyone has to have them.
    ... And that's how one starts down the slippery, slippery slope towards despotism

This kinda makes me think of Battle Royal. I was thinking of like neckbands and the like.
    You shall no longer take things at second or third hand,
    nor look through the eyes of the dead...You shall listen to all
    sides and filter them for your self.
    -Walt Whitman-