Thread: Microsoft: 'Real progress' on security

AO French Antique News Whore

Microsoft: 'Real progress' on security

Microsoft claims it has made "real progress" in the last year towards its goal of Trustworthy Computing but criticized businesses for failing to be more proactive on security.

Speaking at the Microsoft Worldwide Partner conference in Toronto, Mike Nash, corporate VP of the security business and technology unit at Microsoft, said key milestones include the forthcoming Windows XP Service Pack 2 and the availability of Internet Security and Acceleration Server 2004 standard edition.

The overhaul of Microsoft's security update tools and processes has also yielded results. There has been a 400 per cent growth in consumer use of Windows Automatic Update in the last 10 months, and 112,000 unique servers now connect to Microsoft's website for software update services.

But Nash said many users are still too reactive about security. "I'm still surprised how many customers have not thought about a security plan," he said.

He also urged partners and resellers to push customers into upgrading to the latest versions of Windows because of the security benefits but admitted this is unrealistic to expect. But as a matter of priority Nash said users should look for the latest versions of Microsoft software for "servers that face the internet and machines and laptops that are mobile".

"Customers who use Windows Server 2003 are much more secure than those who use Windows 2000," he said.

Microsoft also unveiled new security technology that will allow IT managers to prevent end users connecting to the corporate network unless their machine has the correct updates and security policies installed.

The Network Access Protection (NAP) technology will detect the "health state" of a PC or laptop attempting to connect to the network and will be shipped as part of the Windows Server 2003 update release, codenamed R2, which is due next year.

Specifically, NAP determines whether a networked client machine is compliant with IT-defined network access policies when they try to connect. It then automatically restricts noncompliant machines to a separate, restricted network where the necessary patch and antivirus updates are available. Once the machine is updated the client is automatically revalidated for network access.

Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer also admitted there is still some way to go on the Trustworthy Computing road. "We're not acceptable on security but we're ahead of the other guys," he said at the conference.
    Source : http://zdnet.com.com/2100-1105_2-5268965.html
    -Simon \"SDK\"

He also urged partners and resellers to push customers into upgrading to the latest versions of Windows because of the security benefits but admitted this is unrealistic to expect.
    Sheeesh we aren't all as rich as Big Bill. Give us the latest and greatest for free and I will upgrade (I know that if you are running XP pro you will get the SP2 but I am talking about coming off of a 98se OS).

Microsoft also unveiled new security technology that will allow IT managers to prevent end users connecting to the corporate network unless their machine has the correct updates and security policies installed.
    This is a nice little function. I am not sure if it will turn into more of a security risk or prevention but either way it seems like they are trying.

- MilitantEidolon
    Yeah thats right........I said It!

Ultimately everyone will have their own opinion--this is mine.

Microsoft also unveiled new security technology that will allow IT managers to prevent end users connecting to the corporate network unless their machine has the correct updates and security policies installed
    You know it's funny. I've been trying to set up a simlar system over the past few weeks. We want to make sure students registering for ResNet have their Windows 2000 and XP machines patched before they are allowed to register for the network. If only this technology were available now...
    \"When you say best friends, it means friends forever\" Brand New
    \"Best friends means I pulled the trigger
    Best friends means you get what you deserve\" Taking Back Sunday
    Visit alastairgrant.ca

"Customers who use Windows Server 2003 are much more secure than those who use Windows 2000,"
    This guy can't be serious.
    Space For Rent.. =]

You think that's bad? Read this:

http://www.internetnews.com/bus-news...le.php/3380521

Steve Ballmer....I'd punch that guy, it would be worth the jail sentence.

How he got the audience chanting "The Penguine will loose to WIndows" is beyond me, but whatever drug it was I think I want some.

I just read what you posted.....At the bottom "Were ahead of the others"...What the hell is he talking about? Have you looked around? Virii and worms everywhere. If they really want to make Windows and Microsoft software better, try releasing a copy with a few less bugs than in the average Jungle.

PHP/PostgreSQL guy
    The whole "we're ahead of everyone else" is so much crap. Compared to what? And what proof is there? And where's the numbers to back that? And what are they based on? If it's anything like beefed up NT4 station being better than a stock install of RH 6, then yeah, I can see where he comes up with that statement. As for preventing users from connecting to the corporate network without having the updates, how is this going to improve end-users?

Microsoft claims it has made "real progress" in the last year towards its goal of Trustworthy Computing but criticized businesses for failing to be more proactive on security.
    This is a joke. Criticize everyone but your own lack of doing the right thing way back when when you should've. Yeah, blame businesses who use your products wholly because of the "deals" you give them and then blame them when some dumbass writes an exploit for an RPC hole or whatever and trashes 70+% of the businesses out there causing havoc and chaos for weeks. Good job.

And my RH 9 linux server is STILL getting hit by Code Red (2) infected servers...gah, I hate windows.
    We the willing, led by the unknowing, have been doing the impossible for the ungrateful. We have done so much with so little for so long that we are now qualified to do just about anything with almost nothing.