How to block unwanted cookies in Internet Explorer 6

You already know that cookies can be used in good and in bad ways. They are useful because they can save your login information, even on Antionline. However they can also be used in unwanted ways, like tracking your browsing habits. Many people use third-party software to block and filter cookies, but I think that the built in cookie blocking in IE 6 is suffice, as long as it is configured properly. I will show you how to configure Internet Explorer 6 to accept the "good" cookies, and to block the "bad" ones.

From the Tools menu, go to Internet Options, and click on the Privacy tab. Even with the slider on Medium-High, I noticed that a lot of "bad" cookies still get into your system. So instead click on Advanced, and check "Override automatic cookie handling". Then check Prompt for First-Party cookies and check "Block" for third party cookies. Whether to check "Always allow session cookies" is up to you, but I leave it unchecked. I will explain more about that later.

What you just configured is that if you go to ebay.com and ebay.com wants to set a cookie, it will prompt you first, because it is a first-party cookie. This is because the domain that wants to set the cookie, ebay.com, matches the website you are at, ebay.com. If you trust ebay.com, you can click allow and also check the box to always remember that decision.

What you also configured is if you go to ebay.com, and the ad on ebay.com that is actually the domain ad.doubleclick.net (a third-party domain, since it does not match the website you are looking at), it will automatically block it for you.

Now when you go to visit a website, if a cookie is blocked, a red sign with an eye is displayed at the bottom of IE. If you double click on it you can see more information about the blocked cookie. If you ever need to edit the websites that you allowed or blocked, go back to Internet Options, click on privacy, and click Edit at the bottom.

Now let's talk about session cookies. Session cookies are cookies that expire when you exit Internet Explorer. These cookies may be login information, but they could also be cookies for ads and such. This is why I keep the "Always allow session cookies" box unchecked, that way it will prompt me (if it is a first-party cookie) whether it is a seesion cookie or not.

If you want to see what suspicious cookies, among other things, are on your computer, scan your computer for free at http://www.earthlink.net/spyaudit/